lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2020, 10:36 PM   #61
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Workhorse and MPT...I have my work cut out for me

Well, I have four running machines, two 1200 Pre-MCI workhorses, and two 800 MCI MPTs. First attempt at upholstery on one of the MPTs. This thing is getting close. Tomorrow it gets hit with the pressure washer and gets cleaned up a good bit, just rebuilt tail lights that wouldn't work. Craziest thing, bulbs were bad but the filaments were intact, and the sockets the bulbs twisted into were bad. It took far too much time just trying to figure out why these darn lights wouldn't work....they work now though, just need to be installed. I need to pick up some passenger side front fender flares. For some reason, every one of the passenger side fender flares on these things were torn up. Needs a working gas gauge as well.

I have been having a problem with this MPT...runs and starts no problem. Well, until it gets lazy and I loose spark. Don't know why...its intermittent. I've gone through all the wires, for the life of me, I can't find the cause. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Components all test fine. Wires test fine. Gotta be a wire or connector, but I can't find it.

20201229_220449.jpg

Next, I get back to the other MPT and figure out what's up with the wiring on the oil sending unit and gas gauge, and build some seats for the other three machines. The fifth one is gonna get best of the old seats. No tears, just lots of stains...might clean up. We will see tomorrow.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2020, 08:46 AM   #62
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Looking good! Usually if they start with spark but it loses it after time, on these it could be cool going out, ground for the ignitor plate is rusty and corroded, or possibly the ignitor itself (though not common, on these ezgo’s the ignitor will usually work or not work at all). It would be worth checking the connector off the pickup coil in the flywheel also for corrosion in that connector.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #63
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
...it could be cool going out...
ok...you got me on this one. In my best "Arnold" impersonation: Whatch U talkin about Willis!??! CP241, you lost me on this one.

I plan on going through all the grounds with some emery cloth/wire wheel and adding some dielectric grease at the fittings. They all look good, and seem to ohm out fine with no observable resistance. We will see. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:53 PM   #64
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

LOL stupid phone autocorrect. My Android never corrected “coil” to “cool”. It changes words I meant to type to completely different words all the time. Stupid iPhones

Remove the plate that the coil, ignitor, etc all are mounted to. And clean the mating surface between it and the body with a wire wheel. They tend to get rust in between and it can cause spark problems. More so on pre-mci since the ignitor grounds to that place, but I wouldn’t rule it out either.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:09 PM   #65
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Anyone have any idea how to get a small hardened rusted in bolt out of its death grip confines? Its one of the blind threaded studs behind the front cowl for attaching the front bumper and roof standards. I tried drilling and a drill bit won't touch it. I tried cutting the stud back a bit to expose some threads, successfully, tried grabbing with pipe wrench and channel locks. Just chunks off the bolt. I tried cutting a slot and a screw driver....all of above after several rounds of heat and Kroil . I even tried welding a nut to what was left of the end of the bolt...I can't get enough of a weld on the stud through the small nut hole. 1/8" rod, 40 amps, and get a good weld in the nut...just not enough penetration in the stud. Just breaks off. HELP PLEASE! Next is to simply cut the stud and a chunk of frame out and weld a new section in.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:33 PM   #66
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Did you try a cobalt bit ? I worked at least 8 hours getting mine drilled out and it drilled through the hard steel. I put a 5/16th x 3.5 grade 8 bolt and nut in it.

If you still can't drill it get your gouging torch tip out and cut it off frame. I keep that tip for those hard to reach area's. I don't like doing it but sometimes you have no choice. Weld a piece back where you cut it off.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:56 PM   #67
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Did you try a cobalt bit ? I worked at least 8 hours getting mine drilled out and it drilled through the hard steel. I put a 5/16th x 3.5 grade 8 bolt and nut in it.

If you still can't drill it get your gouging torch tip out and cut it off frame. I keep that tip for those hard to reach area's. I don't like doing it but sometimes you have no choice. Weld a piece back where you cut it off.
Thanks for the ideas...I would have used a carbide or cobalt drill if I had one, but those are expensive...and I don't have any. Besides, that's the easy way...I like doing things the most difficult and frustrating way possible apparently. Besides, this is a low budget build here. I don't have an old school torch for welding either...just soldering torch. Only welder I have is an AC tombstone stick. I might try cutting a bit more of the threaded mounting stud off and try again with the pipe wrench. If that doesn't get it, its cutting with the sawzall and/or angle grinder and dremel, then weld a replacement.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:05 PM   #68
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
Thanks for the ideas...I would have used a carbide or cobalt drill if I had one, but those are expensive...and I don't have any. Besides, that's the easy way...I like doing things the most difficult and frustrating way possible apparently. Besides, this is a low budget build here. I don't have an old school torch for welding either...just soldering torch. Only welder I have is an AC tombstone stick. I might try cutting a bit more of the threaded mounting stud off and try again with the pipe wrench. If that doesn't get it, its cutting with the sawzall and/or angle grinder and dremel, then weld a replacement.
Work safe JPonLKN ever which way you decide especially with that angle grinder.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:58 PM   #69
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, Stud replaced. Pretty easy to cut out the stud from the donor frame that I had laying around, transferring it to the good cart frame, and doing the swap. Booger McWelder stopped by to weld it up, but it is solid, and I am pretty sure it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Definitely a lot less work than trying to drill this stupid hardened bolt out, and it didn't cost a dime.
20210119_185105.jpg
20210119_192521.jpg
Old 03-06-2021, 02:11 PM   #70
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, finally took the last of the bunch for a quick rise. Unless I can get it under control, might name this one mosquito control. Maybe Marlboro man...its a smoker. Definitely rich. Seems like oil burning though. Are there any fuel mixture adjustments on these carbs? Under the caps maybe?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO