lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2020, 12:36 AM   #11
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Which brands of tires are good?

I looked up the specs on the Carlisle website, they are 4 ply. Part #5893H5 in 22 x 11.0 - 10NHS

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...detail/at-489/

Another choice that I've used are the Stryker model, good all around tires, smooth rolling.

wwwatvtirescom/product805.html
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2020, 01:25 AM   #12
Murby
Gone Wild

And now, after reading about the differences between Radial and Bias on the michelin website, I'm even more torn on what to get.

I'm assuming its significant on a car, have to wonder about a 4 wheeler or golf cart..

I have Carlisle tires on my Ferris Zero Turn mower.. funny thing, they happen to be 22x10-10 LOL 5 bolt pattern though.

Looking for photos of a Precedent with 22x11-10 tires and a 6 inch lift..

There should be a website page that shows each cart with different lifts and tires on them.. Too many choices.. this is insane. And I don't want to buy something that's 2nd rate.
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:06 PM   #13
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

They have the radials because UTV and ATV can go over 50 mph now and you run into out of round issues with bias tires, the radials work a lot better. For slower speeds I don't think it matters much. I run 3 ply since 99 on trails in the woods and never had a puncture, these are trailpro which they stopped making. Very good tire they have large knobbies which work well in near any situation. The only time I had a problem was in a swamp of muck where I didn't have enough power to clean them out with stock engine. But they ride smooth, don't tear up yards, since I don't ride pavement they have worn really well. But any large knob tread like the 489 for example should work well for you. You can go to a desert type tread too but they get worse in mud as the tread is closed more. That is what many people run who ride roads and offroad, they wear better on road and are smooth while still doing ok offroad or of course in dry conditions. Here I have a lot of sand, mud, roots, rocks, dirt, wet grass where I ride but I tend to stay out of mud if I can. I can ride right over a sandy beach with these.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:57 PM   #14
Murby
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
They have the radials because UTV and ATV can go over 50 mph now and you run into out of round issues with bias tires, the radials work a lot better. For slower speeds I don't think it matters much. I run 3 ply since 99 on trails in the woods and never had a puncture, these are trailpro which they stopped making. Very good tire they have large knobbies which work well in near any situation. The only time I had a problem was in a swamp of muck where I didn't have enough power to clean them out with stock engine. But they ride smooth, don't tear up yards, since I don't ride pavement they have worn really well. But any large knob tread like the 489 for example should work well for you. You can go to a desert type tread too but they get worse in mud as the tread is closed more. That is what many people run who ride roads and offroad, they wear better on road and are smooth while still doing ok offroad or of course in dry conditions. Here I have a lot of sand, mud, roots, rocks, dirt, wet grass where I ride but I tend to stay out of mud if I can. I can ride right over a sandy beach with these.
Great explanation, thank you!

We're in rural farm country... lots of hills and ponds.. lots of corn, cows, and forest areas.
Everything around me is dirt roads.. even my driveway is a two-track with grass growing in the middle.

Pretty much any route leading up to my house requires a climb up some grass, and when that grass gets wet, I know its a problem for my zero turn mower to get any traction on it... and the mower is 1200 lbs..

We have tractor paths leading to the back where the pigs are kept.. I try to keep the tractor off it when its soggy out, but it still gets soft and squishy. The mower gets stuck on it if we get anything more than a 1/2 inch of rain.

Good to know the puncture thing isn't as big of a deal as I was thinking. My mower tires are Carlisle 22x10-10 and a t-post stabilizer plate punctured one once.

Now I have to figure out which wheels to get.. created a new
post for that.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #15
ousuxndallas
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have 6 ply on my cart. Duro Desert 22-11-10. Pulled this 1 inch mesquite thorn out the other day, and no damage. So, I'm a fan.
ousuxndallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:53 PM   #16
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

With tire ply's, the more you have the stiffer the tire will be. It doesn't always translate into puncture resistance, the amount of rubber and overall construction also plays a role. There are different rubber compounds too, some soft, some hard, etc. But for the most part, more plys usually means tougher tires than less plys.

In general, heavy mud tires will be more durable than turf tires. Tires in between those will be all over the map. That's why it's important to evaluate tires based on other's experiences. Also atv tires will generally be better equipped to handle off road abuse than golf cart tires. Tires made for golf carts often "look" really nice, but are sheep in wolfs clothing, if you know what I mean.

No tire is "indestructible" and any tire is subject to flats from a thorn, spike, nail, stick, rock, etc. Where and how you ride/drive also plays a role in whether a tire survives without damage. If you drive uncontrollably through an area where you know there are hazards, you will likely have an issue.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:28 PM   #17
Murby
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
With tire ply's, the more you have the stiffer the tire will be. It doesn't always translate into puncture resistance, the amount of rubber and overall construction also plays a role. There are different rubber compounds too, some soft, some hard, etc. But for the most part, more plys usually means tougher tires than less plys.

In general, heavy mud tires will be more durable than turf tires. Tires in between those will be all over the map. That's why it's important to evaluate tires based on other's experiences. Also atv tires will generally be better equipped to handle off road abuse than golf cart tires. Tires made for golf carts often "look" really nice, but are sheep in wolfs clothing, if you know what I mean.

No tire is "indestructible" and any tire is subject to flats from a thorn, spike, nail, stick, rock, etc. Where and how you ride/drive also plays a role in whether a tire survives without damage. If you drive uncontrollably through an area where you know there are hazards, you will likely have an issue.
I've pretty much decided to go with the AT489's in model 589330 which is the 23x10-12 and it has a 3-star rating which means 6 plys. Took some google work to figure that one out. Why can't these folks just speak English?

Main considerations are 1) USA Made.. I'm not a fan of Chinese quality.. 2) 6 plys is about as tough as its going to get.. 3) I'm going to need the aggressive traction since golf carts are only 2 wheel drive. 4) Its like a $20 price difference per tire over the Chinese stuff.

The other choice was going to be the RHOX RXVT tires, but I can't find enough information on them to gain any confidence. No user experiences, little technical data, no manufacturing information...

Only thing I don't like about the 489's is the rounded edges.. they look balloon(ish), which I'm not crazy about.. but its just looks.

Found a picture of a cart with the exact tires mounted on it..

Now I have to find some wheels to work with an AllSports or Jakes long travel kit.. No one makes an all stainless steel wheel?

Thanks for all your help.. huge help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 131383471_1070194163483825_5514380595962520777_n.jpg (147.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #18
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Here's some older photos of my cart, hope they help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g1 lift 1.jpg (97.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg g1 lift 2.jpg (108.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg g1 lift 3.jpg (79.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-16-2020, 05:51 PM   #19
Murby
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Here's some older photos of my cart, hope they help.
What size tires and rims are those? Look like something 8 wide on the front and 10 wide on the rear? 10 inch rims?

And what are the handles around the seats for?

My cart will probably end up looking similar.. it is "private golf course" red and clean right now, but its going to be a working cart, not a "look what I have" cart..

I would have bought a side by side UTV if they weren't $15k or a pain to get in and out of.. and they made one that was electric.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:03 PM   #20
hunt365
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

been running the RHOX mojave in 23-10.50-12 for a couple of years now. they seem to do pretty good in mud, tolerable on rd. pretty good tire overall.
hunt365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts