lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
mikeevans860
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default I need to do a motor swap on my 86 E-Z-GO 2 stroke

I have this 1986 E-Z-GO. I just did a compression test on it and it was reading around 75. The motor runs but is really loud and pretty slow. Does anyone know what the cheapest, easiest way to swap this old motor for a good running motor that will push around a lifted cart?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart 005.jpg (113.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart 004.jpg (120.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart 006.jpg (64.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart 001.jpg (103.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart 003.jpg (129.2 KB, 22 views)
mikeevans860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
rthompson
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: I need to do a motor swap on my 86 E-Z-GO 2 stroke

I just rebuilt my 2pg engine in my 1979 marathon. Top end rebuild costs around $250 for parts. If you need a new crank it is more. Are you looking for more power?
rthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
Liv4nov
Not Yet Wild

I had my 2pg rebuilt top and bottom professionally for $700. Their isn't really a new 2 stroke replacement for these old carts (mine's an 8. Anything new/4stroke will require a complete rear end change also (if you want reverse).

Not sure if that is a 2pg motor, it looks nothing like my 88.
Liv4nov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

It looks like a 2PG with an unusual muffler. I know that EZGO messed with the muffler and a few other things in 83 but if you say it is 86 then it is 86.
Your options are limited if you wish to retain a reverse gear, if you don't care about that then the world is your oyster and you should look at the big block section for inspiration.

Personally I bought a top and bottom end kit for mine and had a blast rebuilding it. I also put on a new carburetor and now I have the fastest stock cart in the community. I honestly don't think that you can beat a well tuned 2PG (OK well maybe a well tuned 3PG which has another 2 hp ). I also had a noisy engine but it was simply a blown exhaust gasket and a replacement came in the kit. So for $400 for the engine and a further $100 for a carburetor I have an engine which should last me many many years.

If you decide to do it yourself there are many guys here who will gladly step you through it, but most are surprised how easy it all is.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

It's hard to tell the engine from the angle of the photo, should be a 2PG though. Your best bet is a top-end rebuild as stated above, $200-250 will get you everything you need (including a brand spankin new piston and cylinder) and it's a relatively straightforward afternoon job - these engines are definitely a reliable little powerhouse when running right.

As to the loudness, I'm not an expert and I don't profess to know everything about the history of the 2PG's, but I've seen a lot of carts and never one with that muffler setup - could be a custom job or ??? that isn't doing what it's supposed to ... From the pic, the flange between the head pipe and muffler looks to be in the correct place for a stock vertical 2PG muffler - could you possibly post a couple of pics from the front of the engine bay and of the muffler, flanges, etc - maybe that will help us shed some light on the subject for you (worst case, a new 2PG muffler can be had with a little searching for under $200, so you could come in front to back around 400-ish and have basically a brand new, quiet, ready-to-rock engine in there
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Aaaand here's Dave, posting circles around me again as always! 'Mornin, Amigo !!!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
mikeevans860
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you all. I am not sure if it is in fact a 86 but I will look into it. I cant wait to pull the motor out and start re-building it. I was going to just try and use a 250 s-stroke dirt bike muffler instead of this setup. I will take more pics and wait to see what you all have to say
Old 12-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
mikeevans860
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I also need a new seat post if anyone has one for sale.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
mikeevans860
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default I need to do a motor swap on my 86 E-Z-GO 2 stroke

I got the front lift on last night. It was very easy. My first time ever working on a golf cart and I put it together in about 2 hours. Now I am going to pull off all the body panels and bring them down to get painted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1208101615.jpg (75.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
mikeevans860
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

im sorry everyone it is an 83
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO