lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #1
tcanty
Not Yet Wild

Default Getting a 1981 G1 back in action

Hello!
I'm a rookie to world of carts and have come by a G1 that was stored in a garage for over 10 years. Thanks to these forums I've learned some service basics and have changed the spark plug, air filter, gas lines and filter, flushed the gas tank and changed out the transmission oil. The cart starts up and seems to run fine but rolls like a Flintstone car! With the back end off the ground it seems pretty smooth so I'm thinking the tires went bad from sitting. Before I go hunt up new ones is there anything else I should be looking at? The tires look to be in pretty good shape but 10 years is a long time.
tcanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
matt brown
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Getting a 1981 G1 back in action

how does a flinstone car roll?
matt brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
tcanty
Not Yet Wild

Flat spot(s), out of round, just guessing. A Flintstone with cut rock wheels wouldn't ride anything like set of Michelins!
Don't really understand other than conceptually how the CVT works so I was kind of wondering if that might be involved.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

If that thing has been sitting that long you can bet your @$$ that the tires are bad. I restored a 3-wheel Pargo that sat for a long time like that. You could see the flat spots on the tires. They were holding air so I thought they might get back into shape with some driving. Nope. I replaced the tires and that did wonders. Heck, don't be surprised if you find dilapidated old tubes or something in there. Water even.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #5
tcanty
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the confirmation. I was thinking that since they're so thin compared to a car tire maybe a little extra air pressure and a ride to warm them up might help but that didn't change a thing. Off to the tire store.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Clutches can also do it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #7
tcanty
Not Yet Wild

Uh oh. Any way to tell? Per the Newbie Thread it all looks to be in decent shape. Maybe some wear showing on the drive belt.
Trying drive it with the cover up to see could qualify for a Darwin Award!
Old 02-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #8
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Block it up and run it from a stop to wide open belt should sink to the bottom of secondary clutch and come to the top of the primary clutch at wide open throttle in a smooth fashion
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #9
tcanty
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I'll give that shot and post what happens.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Like this, its a G9 but should do same/similar.

Bad belt or tire, tire will get faster with speed. Belt or cvt will if its the secondary but usually you can see it wobble when it turns, the belt will tend to vibrate with engine speed not cart speed and usually you can see damage or jumping of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XksLJlvY6KA
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha