lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
txbonds
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 2004 Club Car IC making weird sound

For some reason, my club car is making an odd sound. Basically, as soon as you flip the switch from tow to run, it makes a very faint sound like the motor is flopping around inside the can but not with enough force to move the cart.

The cart has the original motor and solenoid, but has an alltrax 400 ic controller and 4 ga wires. The motor was something like a 3.2 or 3.4 hp service grade motor setup for high speed (around 19mph) before controller and now with controller it seems to run closer to mid 20's.

Also, with new controller installed, the down hill regen feature doesn't slow the cart down so it gets a little faster down hill.

Any ideas what could be causing the sound or what to check? My first thought was that the rubber flooring was keeping the gas peddle pushed a hair forward, but checking that reveals it not to be the case. The sound is similar to the noise you would hear when you tap the gas peddle about a hair but don't actually give it enough juice to move.

I'm thinking maybe the internal structure of the motor is trying to turn or something, but don't know if that means the motor is at issue, the solenoid could be at issue, or the potentiometer could be at issue.

Any thoughts appreciated as I hate to pay $125 to have the local dealer pick it up to look at it. Thanks.
txbonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2004 Club Car IC making weird sound

It could be the DRIVE UNIT BUMPER Part # 102235201 that goes between the motor and axle drive is missing or worn out? This means removing the motor and replacing the bumper unit and relubing the splines with Moly Teflon Part # 102243403.
As to the regen not working its probably been disconnected when Alltrax was installed?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
txbonds
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks. I'll try to check into the motor. I've been wanting to take it out and inspect it at some point anyway. The sound is sort of a clunking clicking sound that is very faint. The motor is not pushing the cart, but the sound appears to be coming from the motor as best I can tell.

Regarding the regen, I couldn't tell you. It was working on stock controller. I had a local shop do my lift, light wiring kit, controller and other upgrades all at once. After they did upgrades, the regen wasn't working. I wouldn't even know what to check to see if something were not connected. For all I know, it's a setting in the controller, but I've never hooked the controller up to my laptop to check the settings as they supposedly did that for me. I do have the laptop cord at home though.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

"The motor is not pushing the cart, but the sound appears to be coming from the motor as best I can tell".

"After they did upgrades, the regen wasn't working. I wouldn't even know what to check to see if something were not connected. For all I know, it's a setting in the controller, but I've never hooked the controller up to my laptop to check the settings as they supposedly did that for me."

TO CONFIRM--The cart motor isn't turning the wheels and is making this sound? IF THIS IS CORRECT you have more than a bumper problem, as splines from motor to rear axle should still be turning?
The Alltrax may be set with highest speed code that locks out regen or the speed sensor could be disconnected or defective on end of motor ( outside end bearing area with three wires usually ) doing the same thing on many models?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
txbonds
Gone Wild
Club Car

hmmm............

I'll try to get down there and take a look sometime in the next few days. I'll also try to get the software downloaded onto my laptop and see what the settings on the alltrax are sometime between now and next week and will report back with any findings.

Thanks for the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car