lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
adams.richard89
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G1 restored

Hi all I've been spending this summer rebuilding a G1 I found at the dump. I've been lurking here for a while gathering valuable information to help me with the rebuild and now I can unveil the final product!!

This cart was in decent shape but very dirty and missing some parts such as the solenoids, gas tank and starter. After stripping almost everything down to the frame I probably used a couple dozen cans of brake cleaner and scrubbed everything clean. The body and frame looked pretty good so a coat of paint over the frame and polish of the body had it looking much better. Originally I was going to just put new seals in the engine but unfortunately the bearings were pooched. So it was a bit of an adventure for me but I managed to split the case and it got new bearings, piston, rings and seals all around.

The original wiring harness was ok, but I decided to rewire the whole works and used the original as a template and worked from wiring diagrams online. It got new solenoids, VR, CDI, starter, ignition coil, magneto coils, belts, spark plug, fuel pump, carb, filters, fwd/rev switch, throttle/brake/choke cables, brakes and wheels. I sourced most from eBay so things were relatively cheap but took forever to arrive. Honestly I probably went a bit overboard because some of the parts actually seemed ok after I had a better look at them, so they are just spares and I have peace of mind that everything is new. I had to source a new fuel tank and eventually settled for this awesome looking aluminum tank.

After a bit of trial and error I was finally able to get the thing running. After it seemed like it wouldn't die on me I then set on making it really shine. That's when some DRL lights, light bar, lighted cupholders and a custom rear cargo box/bench seat came in. I also added some sound deadening material to the body to help tone down the noise a bit. I was originally going to run the wheels for a while longer but the tires were in rough shape and one quickly gave up so a new set of rims were ordered. luckily I found a nice set on sale to finish it all off.

Eventually I may add a roof/ windshield and maybe consider heavy duty springs if I find I'm hauling extra people around a lot. The cart runs amazing and will hit 29kph without touching the governer settings. I know they don't go for much for resale but it was a good covid project and now it's basically brand new.

Anyways I did learn a lot about the g1 doing this project and I learned a lot from this forum as well. Enjoy everyone!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
adams.richard89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2021, 01:01 PM   #2
adams.richard89
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Yamaha G1 restored

A few more shots of the finished product

Old 09-17-2021, 06:54 AM   #3
AUTOMAN
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Nice job!

cliff
AUTOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #4
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

That looks great, just started working on my sad G1. Might need your help and guidance for sure, lol
tennbamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #5
adams.richard89
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennbamaman View Post
That looks great, just started working on my sad G1. Might need your help and guidance for sure, lol
I'll offer any help I can! Good luck

Old 09-19-2021, 06:58 PM   #6
Kessler
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Pretty work!!
Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:05 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Very nice! I still have a place in my heart for the G1. I call them the 57 Chevy of golf carts lol. Well, maybe not that cool, but they are cool anyway. Well done! Now crank that governor up!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:34 AM   #8
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Another G1 saved!
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha