lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2021, 01:48 PM   #1
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default 1983 G1 ignition and starter switch woes

I can't get my 1983 G1 to turn over. I recently bought this G1 and it is in bad shape and im trying to being it back to life. I have reviewed the stickies and other posts and they have helped. The CDI wires were cut into but it looks like the other owner put it back on the machine without attaching wires and or replacing fuse connectors. I reattached the wires. The positive and negative fuses were removed and I feel I got those back in place properly. Searching and using previous posts has helped but now I’m stuck. I have ordered and installed a new ignition because the old one had no keys and I think the brass / copper connectors within switch fell out. Using the old switch I was able to identify reverse as the back up horn worked for a little bit. It then stopped and has not worked since. Here are some pertinent information. I feel i have traced the problem back to key switch / accelerator start switch.

New battery was bought and installed along with new Positive side Main wire and post terminal that goes to Starter Generator.
Starter / Generator – Took it off and cleaned it up and cleaned all connections. While I had it off, I replaced the brushes because the old ones were wore out. This had nothing to do with this starting issue. Using a previous test method I tested the starter before and after brushes and it worked fine in forward and reverse directions.

Reverse Solenoid – using previous thread test method, I attached jumper to small blue wire post on the reverse terminal post. I left ground wires connected as normal. When I touched the other end of the jumper wire to positive post on battery, the starter turned over as it should.

Forward Solenoid - using previous thread test method, I attached jumper to small yellow wire post on the forward terminal post. I left ground wires connected as normal. When I touched the other end of the jumper wire to positive post on battery, the starter turned over as it should.

Battery – Test 12.61 volts
Positive Fuse connector – Both sides tested 12.58

Main key switch wire harness – w key in neutral
6 wire connector – One hot wire reading at 12.31 volts (0 volts on the other 5 wires
4 wire connector – All at 0 volts

Key switch in neutral and Main switch at accelerator not pushed in – Red wire at 12.11 volts all the time o volts on white

With Accelerator pushed in white wire becomes 12.2 volts with key in neutral, 12.2 volts with key in forward, and only 02 volts at reverse position. Yes, only 2 volts. I guess that explains why backup horn does not blow
At no point has it ever tried to turn over from pushing the accelerator

Thanks in advance for all guidance and help.
tennbamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2021, 02:14 PM   #2
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1983 G1 ignition and starter switch woes

You say when you jump 12v directly to the solenoids, they work. But they don’t work when you step on the accelerator… correct? So you’re not getting 12v to either solenoid by pressing the pedal.
When you press the pedal, 12v is routed through the pedal switch from the battery (R/W wire) out the white wire to the relay. The relay closes and sends the 12v out the other white wire to the ignition switch. Selecting FWD or REV sends the 12v to the appropriate solenoid down the light blue or yellow wire.
You need to ring through your ignition switch and see if it’s working. White to light blue and white to yellow as selected. If it’s good ring from the ignition switch Dow to the solenoid end of the light blue and yellow wires.
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:04 PM   #3
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Thanks so much for your help.
Correct, when jumping both solenoids by running 12 volt positive wire straight from battery, both solenoids work perfectly. just cant get power to them from the switches. I struggle with electrical.
You said relay? Is there a relay in line on the white wire path back to ignition? It was very weird i only got 2 volts output on the white wire when i press the pedal and 12 volts in the other 2 key positions. i did not test the 2 black wires but not sure i know how as they are grounds im guessing. Im assuming the middle position of the new ignition is neutral. Maybe not
Old 09-16-2021, 04:05 PM   #4
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

i will check the white to blue and white to yellow this afternoon and report back my findings.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:47 PM   #5
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

An update, if im understanding correctly, everything appears to work as it should until the ignition switch connectors are connected. Using the original 6 prong wiring harness connector without attaching the 6 prong and 4 prong ignition connectors here is what i have. I have steady 12 volts at red wire and 0 volts on the same plug white wire. When i push the accelerator the white wire connector becomes 12 volts as i thing it should. i did it multiple times, push pedal 12 v and let off it goes to 0 volts. when i connect the ignition switch everything goes to poop. it likes the white wire male and female are not connecting. When i stick my voltage meter sharp prong into the back side of the ignition side connector, i get no voltage. does that make sense?
Old 09-16-2021, 07:52 PM   #6
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

i actually think i could hook a jumper to that white wire prong and to solenoid and i think i could get it to turn over when i push the pedal every time. Its almost like the new ignition switch is bad.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:26 AM   #7
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Here’s a schematic for my G1. Ignore all the mark ups , at least for nw…lol, as they were for a different issue.
Now-
Follow the R/W wire from the battery +. It feeds 3 places.
1- the red wire to the ignition switch.
2- the pedal switch
3- the relay

When you press the pedal two things happen.
1- the R/W wire connects to the white wire feeding the ignition switch.
2- the black to B/W wire opens, removing a ground used to kill the spark.

So the R/W wire with 12v from the battery passes thru the pedal switch when pressed and comes out the white wire. That 12v now goes to the relay to activate it. When activated… bear with me here…. The rely closes a contact between the R/W wire from the battery and a second white wire going to your ignition switch. This is the 12v you’re seeing. Don’t worry about the REV position yet, we’ll get that one next.
So.. if you disconnect the ignition switch and install a jumper between the white wire and the yellow wire, the FWD solenoid should activate. If it does, your Ignition switch is suspect, by not allowing the 12v thru to the yellow wire.
Jumping the same white wire over to the light blue, should activate the REV solenoid.
Let’s hold here and see what happens. Let me know if this is useful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EC643A56-6347-4F2D-966E-DC06A707DD27.jpeg (93.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-17-2021, 08:43 AM   #8
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennbamaman View Post
i actually think i could hook a jumper to that white wire prong and to solenoid and i think i could get it to turn over when i push the pedal every time. Its almost like the new ignition switch is bad.
correct
Old 09-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #9
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Ok and thanks. There is a lot more going on there than i thought. For sure i understand using the jumper wire and bypassing the ignition switch for now. I will report back my findings after i jump the white to the yellow and then to the blue. Thanks so much for your help and guidance.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:13 AM   #10
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

AGELE55, since my buggy project serial number is J24-000246 and its a 1983 model, is it possible mine does not have that relay? My wiring diagram for g1A3 does not show a relay coming from the pedal switch. Everything we have discussed still makes sense, just your wiring diagram is a little different than the one i had printed. Not sure which one is more accurate for my buggy.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha