lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
Starspa
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 muffler BBQ; Hot Pics!

After reading many posts on a muffler BBQ I decided to cook the mufflers on my 1989 EZGO and my 1981 G1. First was the EZGO, not much happened; a little smoke, but pretty uneventfull.

Next was the G1;got the fire cooking pretty good and placed the muffler in a raised position resting on two rocks. This allows the fire to burn hotter and the tail pipe to be on the bottom and facing down.

I was amazed, the tail pipe threw a torch like flame for almost 45 minutes, you can see it in the picture. After the tail pipe torch went out I turned the muffler over and cooked the other side, not much more happened.

After it cooled I gentley banged it on the concrete floor as I continued to pour burnt chunks out.

The neat thing is I had earlier asked about a puller for the clutch because I did have to continuously pull the choke when I started the motor, even after it was warm. Now it runs and starts great!! There was way too much restriction causing too much back pressure. It was well worth the effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muffler 2 bbq0002.JPG (166.2 KB, 1271 views)
File Type: jpg muffler bbq0001.JPG (153.5 KB, 1207 views)
Starspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
groundpounder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 muffler BBQ; Hot Pics!

very cool pics
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

How to with Pics
Excellent post
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
ic746
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Nice pics Starspa, nothing any better than a muffler bbq, I know after I burned both my G1's out they ran so much better.
Calvin
ic746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That's the way
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
weekendwarriorfsw32
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Nice!!!!!!
weekendwarriorfsw32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Thanks for sharing the pics! Good post. Sticky time.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
jerryfish77
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Will this work on any mufflers or just the 2 stroke ones?
jerryfish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
Starspa
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Because of the clean fuel a four stroke motor is not going to be adversely effected by the stop and go use that golf carts are subjected to.

A two stroke has alot of unburned oil that enters the muffler; due to the stop and go life of the motor and the reduction in pipe size that creates the back pressure, the muffler does not gain the heat needed to burn off the residue oil.

When I cooked my G1 muffler almost all of the smoke and all of the flames shot out of the tail pipe end, this is where the residue buildup is.

I did not think of weighing the muffler prior to cooking it until it was already on the fire. We could find out the stock muffler clean weight and simply weigh the removed muffler to determine the need to cook.
Starspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
cartman71
Not Yet Wild

i believe i have the same problem cause i cut the end of the muffler off and it is just packed. the cart would barley move before and now with out the exhust on it and w choking it it seems to run fine. My question is do i weld the cap back on and then cook it or leave it off and smack it while it is in the fire to let the carbon build up fall out?
Also i dont know much about this cart, but i believe its an early eightys yamaha, my second question is when i try to start the cart is moves while it is trying to start, is this right? THANKS
cartman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha