lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default So your Yami won't turn over

Been seeing alot of posts about carts not turning over/starting. You will need a volt meter! The starting circuit consistes of: battery/battery cables/fuse or fuses/wire harness/key switch/stop switch (at accelerator pedal)/solenoid and starter/generator. On G16's and up there is also a "stop relay". Jack up the cart or put it in neutral. I recommend cleaning the battery posts and cable ends back to clean/brite lead. Put your volt meter on the battery. Try to start the cart, battery voltage should not drop below 10 volts (cart will hesitate to start with low voltage), did you hear the solenoid click? If battery checks ok and you heard a solenoid click bypass the next steps and go to solenoid output test. Take the brake/accelrator acsess panel out, the "stop switch will have 2 wires (brown and red) disconect the brown wire, you should have battery voltage all the time, if not,battery/fuse/wireharness problem. if battery voltage present, reconect and check for battery voltage on the red wire comeing out of the stop switch. You should only have voltage when you "press" the accelrator pedal. Try it several times (you may have a intermitent stop switch). If tests good, the red wire goes to the solenoid (to "energize" it),reconect the red wire, now put your volt meter on the (small) red wire at the solenoid and push the accelerator pedal. You should have battery voltage. Check the voltage at the (small) black wire at the solenoid, you should have battery voltage at all times (if not, bad ground wire). If you have ground (black wire)and 12 volts positive (red wire) when pedal pushed, your solenoid is bad. Test solenoid output (the 2 big posts), you should have battery voltage at the post that the positive battery cable attatches to, put your meter lead on the post that goes to the starter/generator, push the pedal. You should hear the solenoid click and battery voltage should be present. If not bad solenoid, if good the starter/generator should be checked. Remember to check the negative batter cable the the starter for voltage also, there should be battery voltage reading at all times. Hope this helps anyone with a starting problem. Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: So your Yami won't turn over

DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
Can't be Doo"s.....I just took a shower
Old 10-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Thanks Dave, very nice post

My Yammi won't turn over, but I got 2" wheel spacers and some fat tires.......
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintrock View Post
Thanks Dave, very nice post
Crap! I just remembered the gas cap Soon my freind.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
Ray and Lori's g14
Gone Wild

Club Car

my g-14 wouldn't turn over but the solenoid did click. After looking for lose wires or broken wires i tested for power at the starter it had power so just to check the pully on the starter i turned it by hand (with the key off) and then tried it again and it ran. i got about a mile from home and it just quit. i tried to starter trick again no luck and now the solenoid doesn't click i did however find a blown fuse near the solenoid (25 amp) i changed it and still nothing so does any one have any ideas. i djust bought it not to long ago and don't know its history but i can tell you that my girlfriend paid for half of it and she's not real happy with me lol
Ray and Lori's g14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

What'd ya do? Tell her it was her half that was broke?

Remove the two small wires from the solenoid, run two jumper wires from the battery to them, doesn't matter which side, this is testing the battery, cables, solenoid, and starter/generator.
if it spins over you need to follow the small wires, one is a ground.
The other is a 12V positive, use your volt meter to follow back through the start circuit which includes the pedal switch, key switch and fuse.
Look in the stickies for your correct wiring diagram and print it to help.
Do some checking, I think the 25 amp fuse is to big.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I'll ad this test... at the starter/generator (from the battery) you should have 12 volts at the "ground lead" all the time. The 12 volt positive lead should only have voltage with the pedal pushed. If the starter doesn't turn over when the pedal is pushed and you have 12 volts at the starter......STOP and check the brushes ASAP, if there worn and or stuck, you have a good chance of damaging the comutator (were the brushes ride) and will need to replace the armature.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Ray and Lori's g14
Gone Wild

Club Car

no power at the ground, and got nothing when i jumped the solenoid with jumper wires, but the other day i was able to jump it with a screw driver across the two main points on top of the solenoid
Ray and Lori's g14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
kogieblack
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Check cable connections at the + and - battery terminal ends. The - battery terminal should be grounded very well. One of the small poles/connector on the solenoid should be "live" (i.e. connected to the battery through the pedal switch to the switch key) and the other is grounded (direct to the body).
kogieblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha