lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
chevyhead
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 starter generator test

I have a 84 yamaha gas cart, with everything hooked up properly, when i push the pedal the starter moves like a inch, when i take the belt off, it turns, but not very strong. any ideas???????
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #12
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Thanks Good to know
Old 06-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
septo
Not Yet Wild

I tried the test above and got nothing in either direction. Can I assume the starter generator id dead? How quickly would it go bad. I was driving the cart spraying my yard, stopped, and when I went to move again, it eas dead. In the blink of an eye basically. Is this typical?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #14
kantuckian
Gone Wild

good info
Old 11-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #15
kantuckian
Gone Wild

good info
Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #16
technoid
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
That is the proper test, except the voltage, if the regulator is ok, should be 14.5-15.5 Volts. 17 volts would indicate a bad VR. - RAY
Just my opinion and years of experience with batterys, generators, Dc motors, and charging systems. What ever happened to using an ammeter to check charging current? All battery chargers read in amps. So why are we just looking at voltage as the reference? You can over charge a battery on just 3/4 of an amp. Not very noticable on a cheap volt meter. There are some very nice shunt reading ammeters available on the market.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #17
af4sos
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I was just about to try this test because my cart stopped running unexplainedly, but I decided to check my connections first and I found an old quick disconnect connector I didn't like. I had no loose connections so I replaced all of my terminal rings and the cart started and ran great.

I popped off the dust cover to check my brushes and they looked ok so after all of the lurking around this forum I've learned a lot about electrical work and my cart.

Thanks all!
Old 06-19-2014, 06:43 AM   #18
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Starter gen test
Old 07-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #19
stalt
Not Yet Wild

testing is all fine and dandy if the previous owner did any service at all. I inherited my cart a few years back at a campsite we bought. I figured it was 25 years old at teh time so I was pretty much going to run it till she dropped, Well she dropped! I figured it was probably the starter generator and check out what the brushes looked like when I opened them up!

I could only get one screw out without stripping it and that brush broke off right where the wire is connected. If anyone sees anythign esle going on here let me know. I will replace the Voltage Regulator at the same time as the warranty on the generators is only covered if proper voltage provided.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #20
Mncollector
Not Yet Wild

Hi I am new to this everything has been very helpful. So I did the test and the starter spun just like it should so I put it all back together and same thing the selenoid just clicks and the starter does nothing and I just replaced the selenoid and power is getting to the starter so if anyone has any tips on what to try next it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Closed Thread
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha