lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
RS Rogers
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Plug Fire

Just got my G1 rebuild back together & went for the first crank. Got the fuel primed to the carb & into the cylinder but no -go.

Checked for fire on the plug & notta. So I checked the voltage going to the ignition coil on the orange wire & it shows 24v going to the coil so I would assume the coil is bad. Is my assumption correct or am I reading the wrong voltage on the orange wire going to the coil??

Thanks
Steve
RS Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Plug Fire

Better recheck your reading. This is a 12 volt system. The only place you would measure more than 12v is on the ignition secondary wire (plug wire).
Loose and corroded connections and chafed wires are common on these old buggies. Check carefully for wiring problems before replacing components.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
RS Rogers
Not Yet Wild

Ya - I just rechecked & getting 12+ now?????? If there was a problem you think you would get less - 0 rather than more???

Guess I'll order a coil today.
Thanks
Steve
Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Does the 12 volt pulse when turning over?

Coils work by inducing a magnetic field and then collapsing them, the 12 volt supply must pulse.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
RS Rogers
Not Yet Wild

I was checking it by pushing the pedel & running the gen/starter so the motor was turning over pretty fast & using a digital meter it wont sample fast enough to show a pulse that way. I'll have to see if I can turn it over by hand at a little slower rate to actually see a pulse but if I'm getting voltage at all there when turning over & no spark it seems it would pretty much have to be the coil.

Steve
Old 07-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
caddylac camper
Gone Wild

Yamaha

try to start it in reverse or have you tried that already? If you have 12v at the coil and disconnect the wire you should get a collapse of the magnetic field and a spark at the high tension lead if its close to a ground. This would prove your coil is ok.
caddylac camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:46 AM   #7
AUTOMAN
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Cdi output is 350-400 volts
AUTOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #8
AUTOMAN
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOMAN View Post
Cdi output is 350-400 volts
Correct if assuming the meter does not sample fast enough, it is a portion of the 30-400 volts to the coil. CDI's use coil as a transformer, not to build up mag field and collapse when its time to spark.

CDI's pulse coil from zero to 200-250 volts when attached. It fires on + pulse building up mag field/not collapsing field. You are seeing 1/10th of the pulse at 24volts.

cliff
AUTOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:34 PM   #9
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

With the help of AgeLe55 i have my G1 starter / Generator turning over without fail in bot forward and reverse. Now i am right there with RS Rogers, no fire at the plug. I ordered new ignition coil. RS or anyone, how do i test the orange wire to get voltage when turning over? Black lead on the battery ground and red lead on the orange?
tennbamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:29 AM   #10
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

First things first.. Make sure the B/W wire coming from the pedal switch is NOT grounded with the pedal pressed and/or key in either FWD or REV. It is grounded ( by shorting it to the B wire) while the pedal is up to kill all spark. When pressed, it opens the circuit, removing the ground and allowing the spark to happen via the CDI. The ignition switch does the exact same thing. It grounds the B/W wire ( to the B wire) in the off position.
So if either the ignition switch OR the pedal switch is grounded…no spark.
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha