lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
Pumper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Getting to G16 TCI

I am trying to change the G16 TCI, the fan cover has 5 bolts I can get 4 off but the rear bottom one I can see but can't get to it.

Do I have to lift the engine? Any ideas?
Pumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2015, 01:57 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Getting to G16 TCI

1/4 drive rachet then extension then universal joint or"swivel" and short 10mm socket. I have done plenty, and never lifted the engine to do it. I would put one of the easy ones back in, so the cover doesnt start moving around when the bottom bolt is loose, but not all the way out.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
Pumper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks cgtech for your reply.

I just tried your suggestion but still can't get to that bolt. The intake cover seems to be in the way. Tried to remove it but the front lower screw is behind the frame the engine sits on so I could not remove it.

Are the G16's different?
Old 03-22-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You took the gas tank & air filter box out, right?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
Pumper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I took the air filter box off but not the gas tank.
Maybe that is the secret, I will try that.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
Pumper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The G16 has a large cover plate under the engine frame held on with 6 blind rivets. Near the bolt I could not reach I pried this plate down about an inch and stuck a piece of wood to hold it down. That gave me access to the bolt without removing the gas tank. Now all I need to do is get a new TCI.

I also have a 2007 Yamaha YDRA model and it does not have that troublesome bolt nor does it have a cover plate on the bottom of the engine frame, that would be no trouble getting to.

I would like to remove the six rivets and the plate on the bottom of the G16. It has some sort of foam or fiber material on the inside of it that collects oil and dirt, looks like a fire trap to me. I can't get the cart high enough at this time to drill out those rivets.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #7
KingPin
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I just had to replace my TCI on a g16. I had a very similar issue getting to the bottom bolt on the stupid cover. I ended up on my back with the side slightly lifted with a floor jack. I found that placing the ratchet bit on the bolt first and then attaching the socket wrench made it a lot easier. Using one of the 10mm extended sockets also made that job easy.

When buying your TCI do your best to by OEM parts. I have an aftermarket TCI i picked up online and it needed some washers as spacers to get the bolts to set properly.

I'm having some other issues after replacing my TCI and I'm not sure, at this point, if it is directly tied to the TCI or perhaps my coil pack. I'm not a mechanic so I'm doing the best I can on that one.

Also - When you go to remove the TCI -- spin the fly wheel you will see to notches together on the side. These notches will line up near perfectly with the bolts on the TCI allowing you to use a longer 10mm ratchet against them to remove them.

Hope this helps you out.
KingPin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan cover, tci
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha