lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #1
bdsii
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Just in case charger does not shut off?

What pack voltage on a 36v and a 48 volt system should be the upper limit on charging a pack in case the charger malfunctions and does not shutoff automatically ? I was charging my new 36v Trojans and started worrying it was taking a long time to charge even though they were not that low due to break-in process. That made me think if I knew an upper limit number I could rest comfortable knowing no harm is coming to the batteries.
36volt = manually shutoff at or above = ?
48volt - manually shutoff at or above = ?

Thanks!
bdsii is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Just in case charger does not shut off?

What's the proper breaking process for new batteries?
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Attached is a recommended charge curve for Trojan deep cycle batteries.

The max voltage shown is 2.79VPC (Volts per cell), which is:
50.22V for a 36V pack.
66.96V for a 48V pack.

Remember, that is the max recommended on-charge voltage, so it can go a bit higher without damaging the battery, but it is more or less a moot point since the battery's on-charge voltage will stop climbing once it is fully charged, if the current flow is less than about 5% of the rated AH capacity.

Modern cart battery chargers that use dV/dT technology (change in Voltage over change in Time), charge the batteries until the rate of voltage climb drops below something in the neighborhood of 0.004V per cell per hour, so the max voltage reached might go higher than 2.79VPC. (4mv/cell/hour is the US Battery dT/dV spec, I don't know what Trojan Battery spec is, but it would be close to that.)

Most chargers have a back up timer that shuts off the charger at about 16 hours, so it probably isn't a good idea to let the charger run much more than that in the regular charge mode. Chargers that go into float charge after the regular charge cycle terminates can be left on indefinitely.

The initial charge of new batteries can take longer than 16 hours, but seldom take longer than 20 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charge curve.JPG (33.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsoncartguy View Post
What's the proper breaking process for new batteries?
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-break-in-.html
Old 04-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
bdsii
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB, the idea is if the charger fails and does not shut off properly. I may be the only one, but I am always thinking (incorrectly) "Wow....the charger should have cutoff by now" so having the max voltage would help me know the batteries are OK at that point in the event of a charger failure. Thanks !
Old 04-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsii View Post
Thanks JohnnieB, the idea is if the charger fails and does not shut off properly. I may be the only one, but I am always thinking (incorrectly) "Wow....the charger should have cutoff by now" so having the max voltage would help me know the batteries are OK at that point in the event of a charger failure. Thanks !
You are not the only one.

The max safe on-charge voltage is higher than most people realize, but if it starts climbing higher than the 2.79VPC voltages I posted, it is time to find out why it is doing so.

How long the charger runs is probably a better indicator of something being wrong. If the charger runs in the regular charge cycle over 16 hours, it is time to find out why.

What chargers are you using?

------------

FWIW: I had a ProTech-C 3616 on-board charger that failed and was pumping out the max amps it could produce.

What alerted me something was amiss was hearing the batteries (36V T-105 pack) gassing from twenty feet away. The voltage on the dash mounted DVM wasn't much higher than it usually got to towards the end of the regular charge cycle, but it had been on charge for about 18 hours and should have been at the float charge voltage level (39.2V with that charger).

Other then being well equalized and needing a little water, the batteries didn't seem to be any worse off for the experience and powered the cart faithfully until I replaced them and went to 42V about a year later.

The ProTech was replaced with a DPI Accusense charge and I've been using DPI charger since then.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
bdsii
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a Powerwise charger and also a DPI charger. Both should cut off automatically but both chargers are new to me to I don't trust them yet. I connected the Powerwise to a set of NAPA batteries which were new and it didn't cut off for about 12 hours and I had to leave so I disconnected it just to be safe. A max voltage that I can check with my CartsUnlimited battery meter helps me have peace of mind :-)
Old 04-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The "max voltage" is a bit higher than the typical voltages seen tho. I typically see 44-46v for 36v packs, and 60-64v for 48v packs. It really depends on the charger's profile.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:08 PM   #9
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
The "max voltage" is a bit higher than the typical voltages seen tho. I typically see 44-46v for 36v packs, and 60-64v for 48v packs. It really depends on the charger's profile.
Yes and being there to see that voltage and amperage being put out is the hardest part of all... So the best solution is to plug them in and simply go to bed!
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:37 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I work on carts for a living. I get to see lots of stuff that people usually miss while their sleeping. LOL!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO