lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2020, 07:43 AM   #1
mitchntx
Not Yet Wild

Default After sitting for a few days ...

... the cart seems to go to sleep and is hard to wake up.

Key on, select reverse ... nothing. No back up warning, no movement, no clicking ... nothing.

I cycle the F/R selector, throttle pedal, brake ... after about 30-60 seconds, it comes alive. Not sure what has triggered the resurrection.

08 48V Precedent

Normal? Abby-normal?
mitchntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2020, 08:20 AM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: After sitting for a few days ...

Some if not most carts will go into sleep mode. I'm not really sure what all happens when they do. My guess is the capacitors in the controller discharge.
When you try to go they have to recharge before anything happens.

Try just putting cart in gear and press the pedal. Then just wait a minute or two.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Make sure the charger stays connected to the cart when parked.

If the OBC does not sense the charger is connected to the cart it will go to sleep after a few days to prevent the batteries from being over discharged.

In that case, either connecting the charger to the cart or pressing the accelerator will wake up the OBC and the OBC will enable the Controller after a self-test delay.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:39 AM   #4
mitchntx
Not Yet Wild

Thanks fellas and it makes sense ... except ...

I had concluded that my OBC had been by-passed or failed because my Powerdrive 3 wouldn't cycle while charging. It would apply 15A and charge till it was unplugged.

I bought a MODZ Max48 charger and it am happy not to see acid dripping onto my garage floor.

So now I wonder if my PD3 has an issue.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did you do the OBC by-pass yourself?

If so, is the blue and white wires jumped at the OBC 6 pin connector?

Only the OBC can cause the reverse buzzer to not sound in reverse.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:55 AM   #6
mitchntx
Not Yet Wild

I did not by-pass the OBC ... I've just recently purchased the cart.

And I'm not impressed at all with previous owner's care and maintenance. There is a rat's nest of wires that I have yet to sort out.

I hope I didn't mislead anyone ... I simply concluded the OBC was by-passed or failed because the PD3 wouldn't cycle, but a PD auto sense would.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Sounds like the OBC was bypassed. The PD3 relies on the OBC to charge properly. If the OBC was only partially bypassed the PD3 will always run when plugged in, will run at full output the whole time, and will not shut off. More than likely the PD3 charger is fine, so you can probably sell it.

The OBC puts the cart controller in lockout after a few days if it is not connected to the charger.
Since you have a Modz charger that is a smart charger and now have no need for the OBC, find the 6 pin connector at the OBC and cut the Blue and White wires between the connector and OBC and jumper those two together on the cart side. That will supply 48v to the lockout pin on the controller and keep it out of lockout. This will totally bypass the OBC.
You'll no longer have the charger lockout function, so the cart can be driven even with the charger plugged in. Not a big deal as long as you or anyone else who might use the cart remember to unplug the charger.
If you want/need to have a charge lockout that can be done a few different ways.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchntx View Post
I did not by-pass the OBC ... I've just recently purchased the cart.

And I'm not impressed at all with previous owner's care and maintenance. There is a rat's nest of wires that I have yet to sort out.

I hope I didn't mislead anyone ... I simply concluded the OBC was by-passed or failed because the PD3 wouldn't cycle, but a PD auto sense would.
They could also have by-passed the charger so it is ON all the time.

Just to the OBC by-pass the right way since you already have a new charger.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car