lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default G1 Blowing Fuses?!

Well I have been working on a barn find G1 for a few weeks and got it cleaned up, new (used) carb, new fuel lines, blah blah blah.... Anyways, so today I charged up my little lawn mower battery (I found a good way to rig it up to the stock terminals and saved my self a hundred bucks) and for some reason the cart is blowing fuses like crazy. I turn the key on and hit the gas pedal and I hear a buzzing sound for just a second and then nothing. the starter doesn't turn or anything, just buzzing. After that, I pull the fuse and its blown... I am running 10AMP fuses but I don't know if thats right or not. I heard something about the cart being a positive ground, I am grounding the negative terminal because thats how everything else I have worked on is. If the cart is a positive ground could I just switch the terminals and be done with it? I'm running out of fuses here! thanks guys
stevensj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: G1 Blowing Fuses?!

Oh, and if it helps the cart is running an aftermarket single headlight with a switch on the dash. I didn't rig it but it looks done up very nice.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It is negative ground. Is the battery charged well.
Buzzing could be the solenoid chattering from low voltage???
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Actually, it is positive ground. Just looked up a wiring diagram and got a new fuse. switch the terminals and its all set.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The cart is negative ground for sure, but the frame while ground really is not ground. It is ground by that 10A fuse and everything has its own ground wire. If you add something and ground it to the frame like lights, it will blow that fuse with no negative wire.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Huh. I hooked the positive terminal to a cable going to the underside of the starter and the negative terminal to a wire going to the two cans on the fender that I cannot remember the name of. Now both the headlight works and the golf cart starts, runs, drives, and doesn't blow fuses
Old 05-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensj13 View Post
Huh. I hooked the positive terminal to a cable going to the underside of the starter and the negative terminal to a wire going to the two cans on the fender that I cannot remember the name of. Now both the headlight works and the golf cart starts, runs, drives, and doesn't blow fuses
Solenoids. That is correct wiring, but the frame is grounded with that 10A fuse it is on the wiring diagram. It will blow if you ground a load (over 10A) to the frame without wiring the negative to the battery. A car has a big wire negative to frame the cart does not. They have no reason to ground the frame only the swingarm/cradle for the engine/gen. The frame is ground and its all negative ground wired, but that is why we say it is not grounded. The factory ground will handle near nothing itself.

http://www.cunninghamgolfcar.com/ima...maha%20G1A.pdf
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
theboev916
Not Yet Wild

Please help! 1982 G1 blowing negative fuse only when pressing gas pedal in forward. Reverse works fine and doesn't blow the fuse. Lights are grounded directly to battery. No other accessories added.
theboev916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha