lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2020, 08:29 AM   #1
Josph30
Not Yet Wild

Default Lift reccomendations

Soni have a 2015 g29 with a 6 inch Jake's spindle lift and it's super rough on trails and dirt roads. My question is what is the best way to soften the ride? Is there different shocks that would help or would it be better to go with a new lift like an a-arm lift instead. If new lift would be better what is a better lift as far as adjustment and quality/longevity? Thanks in advance
Josph30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Lift reccomendations

I've used the Jakes LT lift kit several times, they ride fantastic off road, and on road they steer much better than the other types of lifts. Long travel double a arm kits are much different than the "standard double a arm kits". I've used a couple of the "standard double a arm kits" and found them to be harsh and have terrible steering feel. I'm a big fan of the atv style front suspension systems like the Jakes LT. It's pricey though.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
Josph30
Not Yet Wild

So I guess the standard a arm kits are about like the spindle kits. I was looking at the Jake's LT but wasn't sure it it was justified to spend double the money. I have to do something though cause ots bad right now.
Josph30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:52 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The dual arm kits are supposed to be better than spindle, a spindle lift just lifts the cart from the wheel and the suspension is exactly the same. They are good for light use carts, campgrounds, etc. The double arm is typically wider maybe more travel, better alignment if the cart had single arm. Problem is they use the same shocks which are not that good. Some put atv shocks on them and get an improvement. The LT long travel comes with better shocks and that is what you are paying for plus its wider and more HD. They are much better overall. All depends on what you do with the cart really, and what you want, your budget. The LT is much better offroad.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I've used single a arm, double a arm, spindle lift, and long travel kits. No comparison that the LT kit is the king! Anyone else who has used them will tell you the same thing. Is it worth an extra $400-$600, I think so. It's worlds above. But you don't have to take my word for it.

Actually the problem with off roading a golf cart is that they are not designed for more than 3-4 inches of suspension travel. Think golf course. Once you reach the suspensions limits it will suffer in ride quality, lots of bottoming out and over extension. The single a arm setup is not designed for lots of travel because the camber changes drastically at full extension and compression. That changes steering geometry, that causes erratic and dangerous steering at speeds. Slow? No problem. But you get faster than a crawl and you will find the limits of the single a arm design very quickly.

Even the Jakes double a arm setup has issues with camber change in the travel. Those kits still want you to use the factory 2" travel shocks, so they really aren't an improvement over stock IMO. These kits are really just single a arm suspensions with an extra a arm added in there. The geometry is not good. Are they stronger? Probably. Do they ride and handle better than the standard a arm lift? No. Not really even sure why they sell them to be honest. I think people see "Dual A Arm" and they think "oh off road".

The LT kits keep the camber pretty much constant through the suspension cycle. The travel is like 8-9" compared to 3-4". That coupled with atv style shocks and you have a nice soft ride. It also steers and handles better, especially at higher speeds. No more shake in the steering or the dreaded bump steer you get from the single a arm design. The geometry is basically a copy of sport atv front suspension designs. That platform is proven off road. It's not just a better set of shocks. It's the way the suspension cycles through the movement that gives it it's smooth feel and shock absorption. It's a much better design.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:05 PM   #6
dm5point0
Not Yet Wild

I have a Rhox 3" spindle kit on my G29 and I am looking to go to the Jakes LT kit. Can I just change out the front and set to the 4" setting? I have the Plowman kit and it is fast (seen 38mph). So I don't want it too tall. Just looking for more stability and better off road ride for hunting.
dm5point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:16 PM   #7
Brazos
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I also have a G29 with a 6” Jake’s spindle lift and yes it is still a rough ride though a little better. I have two 2008 G29 golf carts I acquired and am trying to refurb both of them for a budget of $1K a piece so the Jake’s LT Kit was out of budget. My golf carts are farm carts so they ain’t on the golf course. I find the 6” spindle lift a little smoother (great on the road/smooth stuff) I think because the 22” tires roll over stuff better than the smaller tires. Right now the tires are at 15psi but plan to drop them to 10psi once I put tire sealant in them. Like you I would like to know what options there are to make the 6” spindle ride better short of going LT? For example better shocks? Tire pressure? Going slower works fine and works most the time for me. About the only time I want speed is trying to beat the livestock to the open gate so I can close it before they get thru.
Brazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:35 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

You could swap shocks out to atv shocks, but that comes with a price. Anything softer will allow more movement with less effort. That means the suspension will find it's limits very quickly. Steering feel will suffer. Bottoming out will occur. It's just the fault of the factory suspension design. It's just not meant for more than 3" of travel.

What you're asking is "Can I have a Cadillac quality ride without spending the extra money?" The answer is no. It's still a golf cart with a golf cart suspension. Until you upgrade the suspension design, you will have golf cart quality ride designed for smooth cart paths and smooth fairways.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts