lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
autoslot
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car 48V Charging System

The following is my understanding of the Club Car charging system, based on reviewing the manuals, schematics, other threads, and testing on my 1996 48V cart. It should also apply to other years and voltages. I've also attached a charger schematic. Hopefully, this may help others better understand and troubleshoot their charging systems.

Charging System Operation
The Lester PowerDrive Charger on/off state is controlled by an internal 48V relay. The positive side of the relay coil is connected to the +48V of the cart’s batteries when the charger cable is plugged in. The negative side of the coil is connected to the cart’s On-Board Computer (OBC) through the fused gray wire.
The OBC monitors the voltage on the gray wire to know when the charger is plugged into the cart. When plugged in, the OBC locks out the vehicle drive system and within 2-15 seconds, will pull this wire low (to -48V) to energize the relay in the charger. When the relay is energized, it switches 120VAC to the charger’s transformer primary. The transformer’s secondary is connected through diodes to the +48V terminal of the cart’s batteries (when the charger cable is plugged in.) The other side of the transformer’s secondary (-48V) is connected through the charger’s ammeter to the OBC, then back to the batteries’ negative terminal.

Troubleshooting/Testing (DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.…do not attempt unless you are familiar with electricity and electronics!)
There are two ways to force the charger to turn on regardless of the OBC. (These are also spelled out in other threads.)
The first method is to disconnect the cart’s gray wire at the fuse near the charger receptacle. Then using a jumper wire, connect the receptacle side of the fused connector to the cart’s negative battery terminal. This will energize the charger’s 48V relay. If the charger doesn’t come on, it could be bad connections, wiring or charger relay.
The second method is to open the charger and remove the 120V wires from the relay and jump these together. This totally bypasses the relay and the OBC wire.
(If charger comes on but the charger ammeter shows 0 amps, check the fuse at the charging receptacle under the clear plastic cover.)
Both of these methods should both be temporary measures for troubleshooting, or as an emergency method of charging the batteries when they have been discharged so far that the OBC will not charge them.
The OBC provides the optimum method of charging the cart’s batteries. If the OBC is bad, it should be replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clubcharger.jpg (42.5 KB, 531 views)
autoslot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
weber
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Club Car 48V Charging System

Thank you ! Very good info...
weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
edgewil
Not Yet Wild

thank you for the info ive done all the steps you listed but still cant get it to charge
edgewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
autoslot
Not Yet Wild

Does your charger even hum? What all have you checked?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #5
edgewil
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoslot View Post
Does your charger even hum? What all have you checked?
well last summer i put all new batteries in it and a new computer still couldnt get but about three holes in and it would be dead i just started working on it again but i cant get it to charge the charger will click when i plug it in but thats all and i dont have any one around to try another 48 volt charger i also had the charger checked out by a few people and they all said it was good but that was last summer also so i dont know what else to do
Old 04-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
autoslot
Not Yet Wild

If you can hear the charger click a few seconds after it is plugged in, then the OBC should be good. Also, the +48V red wire connection and the OBC gray wire connections should be good through the recepticle to the charger.
I would check the fuse under the plastic cover on the charge connector (black wires.) Mine broke when I put a new OBC on, just by tightening the terminal on the black connector. Use a voltmeter on ohms to check for continuity across it. (Should be 0 ohms.)
If that is not it, it could be bad contacts on the charger relay (but I doubt it.)
Old 04-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
edgewil
Not Yet Wild

thanks i will try it later and let you know the results
Old 04-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
havnfun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the writeup. Good info. Should be a sticky at the top.
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #9
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

GREAT INFO AUTOSLOT
This goes in my file for future problems.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
autoslot
Not Yet Wild

Glad I can help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car