lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
djhartley2003
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default What Im starting with

So here is what i am starting with. I am not sure of the year and i found the place where the tag should be with model # and other info and it is gone. Modifications had already been started on the cart when i got it last week. It needs a lot of work but I didn't pay anything for it. The only thing I paid for was the wheels and tires.

P4150645.jpg

The first thing that I need to get figured out is the steering. When i picked up the cart the guy told me that it needed a bearing in order to put the steering column back on. Well i started to look at it and the column and the steering box don't watch. The flange at the bottom of the column and the flange on the steering box don't match. I want to get this taken care of first so it would be easier to move around when i am working on it.

This is a picture of what is in the cart. Does any one know what this is from just in case it might be easier to find a new column instead of a new steering box.

P4150640.jpg

this a picture of what it looks like my steering column would match.

_MG_6871.jpg
djhartley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
madd matt
Taters...

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What Im starting with

Looks like it is going to be a fun project... Keep the pics coming...
madd matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
djhartley2003
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The next thing is that i am trying to understand what exactly the control box is and what it does. I took a picture of the inside of an EZGO cart we have on our job site. i have been looking at so many parts that i am not sure what i am looking at now. Is this picture of a control box?

P4150638.jpg

If this is a control box does it take the place of or do I still need the charging board, the resister and speed control like these? Or are they located in the control box?

CHARGER BOARD.jpg 4c92_1.JPG
ac7f_1.JPG

Any help that any one can give me would be appreciated. I am trying to figure some of this stuff out before i start buying some parts and end up the wrong stuff. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
eadavis
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I think you have your work cut out for you. It looks like you have a peiced together cart. Maybe a marathon cart with a txt body
eadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
djhartley2003
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The original picture that i saw of the cart had what i believe was a marathon body and it was changed to the one on it now. This is one of the reasons I am trying to understand the controllers. Right now it doesn't have anything in it. I have some of the parts but if I am going to start from scratch i figure why not just replace everything. My wife works at a golf course and the guys there told me that they would help me out with what ever parts they could get for me. I don't want them to get me something that I am not going to end up using.

this is what it looked like in the first picture that I saw.

00010434qn.jpg
Old 04-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
cuzky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Looks to me like the seller has switch carts on you.The newer style bodies wil not fit a marathon without a lot of work .The marathon is about a couple of inches wider than the newer medelist or txt .I hope you can get the stearing out on the one you have it looks nice
cuzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
djhartley2003
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The guy that I got it from has done a lot of work to it already. I can tell it is the same cart by the other pictures i have of it and I can tell where he has changed the shocks and made it so it would fit the different body. The whole thing has been gutted so I will be starting from scratch. My dad and I used to own a welding shop here on the west coast that we used to make all the frames for Johnny's Speed and Chrome sand rails. So I'm not worried about the fabricating. I am already designing a new roll cage and this weekend if I can get to the steel yard I am getting some square tube and going to start getting the frame in shape. I need a little help with the controller and the wiring. Thats the part that is going to be new ground for me. I was looking at some of the wiring diagrams and it looks like in the older ones use the resistors and in the new ones i don't see it. So I am wandering if I put a new controller in it does it take the place of the other stuff. It seems like it might be a little easier to wire if all the components are in the new control box.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
eadavis
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You would probably be better off putting a newer style rear end it it also because the older carts are harder to get motors for I would think. Then you have to decide what kind of cart you wasnt a series system or a shunt. The picture you posted of controller box from inside the cart is a shunt system which is more efficent and faster but the series has been around for along time and is reliable too. I would definitely make it a controller cart not a resistor cart. I would also use aftermarket controller and motor.
eadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: What Im starting with

If the bodies interchange, then you have a medalist. Mi '94 or '95 year model. I would do searches on those years...
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

FWIW, and I'm not one to shy away from a project and you definitely would have a project on your hands, but you may want to consider keeping the wheels and tires and the TXT body and scrap the chassis and find another TXT donor chassis.

Just my unsolicited $.02.
Spend it wisely!

The chassis is definitely older than 86! Motor is perpendicular to axle. Dead give away.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO