lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
sophie814
Not Yet Wild

Default EZgo 1998 DCS making noise slowing from high speeds

Hi. I just got my 98 DCS and I am hearing some weird rattly/engine jerk type (hard to explain in words-haha) noise coming from the rear underneath. Kind of a metal pang or something when slowing down from high speeds. We have a lot of hills in our neighborhood. It's not that thing that automatically slows the cart down. It's both when I hit the breaks to start slowing (from higher rates of speed) and when it's naturally coming to a slow from a higher rate (after the auto slower has seemed to already shut off..or not necessary at the time). Does anyone have any idea what this is? Can you explain in 'laymans' terms how I could look for it, and possibly fix it. I am NOT mechanically inclined. Although, I would like to learn to care for my car myself. If anyone lives in the Douglasville, GA area, and wouldn't mind teaching me some mechanics about these things, I would love to learn. Thanks so much! I hope I didn't buy something with a major issue! Ughh!

Sophie
sophie814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
sophie814
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZgo 1998 DCS making noise slowing from high speeds

PS also has brand new cables, batteries, etc. but it's super slow going up a hill. Maybe this is normal. If I floor the pedal (driving flat) and then let up on the pedal it bounces kind of like I am letting off the pedal, then hitting pedal. I may be doing that accidentally, but I feel like I am halfway holding down pedal. Is that normal? I am suprised at the super slow drag going up small hills. 3 people were on it..total of 350lbs. Maybe that's normal. I have been trying to break in batteries like I've read. I've only driven it 5 times. I probably dropped it a bit below 70% though. I didn't know the first time, and drove it to 50% power the first time. Yikes! Anyway, just trying to learn all I can. When you explain, I need details. Sorry I just don't know any parts what-so-ever. Do you recommend any books to learn the parts, care, etc? I haven't found my owners manual yet either. The plate in the cart says it was built 8/97, but the dealer called it a 1998 EZ GO dcs (then I read after I bought it that dcs meant 'darn cart smoking") I was so sad!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

sounds like it could be gear lash but I don't know how to explain it for certain. If it is gear lash, then it's kinda normal.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
sophie814
Not Yet Wild

Oh well that would be good if it's normal! LOL It does sound like metal clanging in a way. I will try to get it over to our community golf course club..they have a repair guy there that I should befriend LOL
Old 06-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if the bateries are brand new i,m sure you have read about breaking them in right.......you,ll gain some power once they are broken in......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
sophie814
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
if the bateries are brand new i,m sure you have read about breaking them in right.......you,ll gain some power once they are broken in......................
Yes I am trying to only use 25% of them (leaving 75%) for the first 20 rides. Although I didn't know that the first time, and drove around for like 3 hours. Hope I didn't ruin them. It's also hard to tell with the LED charge meter I have how far they run down, but I've tried to only let it drop one--or two bars (typically 1 hour or less worth of total driving--is that too much?) If so, what should I do, just take it up the street and back? It's so hard not to use it when you're excited about it. I've probably taken it for 6 rides so far..hopefully not too late!

I also read never let it go below 50% once it is broken in. That seems weird. What's the point of having batteries if you only can drive 50% forever. (which is probably only 2-3 hours solid driving. I don't get out much with my disability, so I like to cruise around the community looking at houses and sometimes I drive for a while. The first time, the batteries dropped to 50% within 2 hours or so. (before i knew about breaking them in). So that's not much driving!

Last edited by sophie814; 06-28-2011 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 07-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
sophie814
Not Yet Wild

I am going to try to tape what I hear so I can post it soon. I drove my friend's cart and hers is sooo much smoother. Mine just doesn't like when I try to drive slow..the pedal seems to want to bounce a tad and so does the cart. Not a bucking at all..but not a smooth quiet ride. Then still the noise when slowing down from high speed (when the auto slow down thing is not turned on) It's coming from under the cart. Sounds metally. I will try to video/audio tape it and post soon. I don't want to be ruining the cart driving it if something is wrong. I really want to learn how to fix things myself. I wish someone handy lived close so I could learn a few things :)

Tags
under cart noise
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO