lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
dalbin5
Not Yet Wild

Default F&R switch issue

Being my first post I will try my best to give all the information needed. I have a 99 Series cart with a recently added 5" lift, new batteries with new cables, and stock motor, controller, and F&R switch. This was a ground up rebuild that has gone well until now. My problem started with my forward and reverse being backwards. After countless hours researching on BGW I decided to switch my A1/A2 wires. (I think, my mind is fried at this point.) This solved my problem but created another. Now after a short period of driving the F&R switch gets too hot to touch. I retraced my motor wires only to find they were hooked up correctly to begin with so now they are back to their original position. I have 4 wires on the switch that I've unhooked so many times I don't know what to do with now. Orange, Black, Red from charger receptacle, and Blue from ignition. Sorry so long winded but hopefully someone can calm my confusion!
dalbin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: F&R switch issue

see if you can find a wiring diagram up in the stickies and use it.....as for the switch might not be a bad idea to replace it..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
dalbin5
Not Yet Wild

I think you're right about replacing it. I have looked at several of the wiring diagrams but I can't seem to find one for the small wires on the micro switches. I'm wondering if it's possibly a problem with my controller as well?
Old 07-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What size tires did you put on the cart?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Putting big tires on the cart greatly increases the load on the motor causing it to draw more amperage. If this increased amperage draw is meeting flow resistance it will cause heat.
The controller, solenoid, all of the drive and battery cables, and the F&R need to be upgraded from the original design.

Remember your cart was designed to carry 2 people and a bag of clubs around a golf course on 18" tires.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
dalbin5
Not Yet Wild

20x11-10. Hopefully when next deer season rolls around I'll have the cash for a motor/controller/wheel and tire upgrade but I'm crossing my fingers that I can get by with these tires and the factory electrical this year, assuming I get this wiring issue resolved.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
dalbin5
Not Yet Wild

That makes sense. I'm guessing I should look for a 400 amp controller if using the factory motor?? If so, any recommendations on brand?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The alltrax controllers work good with Ezgo and so do the FSIP units. I would need to know what size tires and load and terrain, as well as your performance expectations before I could recommend anything specific.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
dalbin5
Not Yet Wild

Probably only going up to a 22x11-10 all terrain tire. There won't ever be more than two people in the cart but I do have a cargo bed that I will be hanging a tailgate feeder on (about 55lbs full) and misc. items in the bed. I wouldn't think more than 100lbs at a time plus riders. There's not really much steep terrain but there is a lot of sandy soil in places and that seemed to kill the power this weekend. I would like to bump up the speed slightly but I'm more concerned with torque and from what I've read it looks like you're gonna get one or the other.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The series cart is designed to produce torque, which is good considering your usage and terrain. I can help you with component selection, I will have more time later on, if you want to email me it's cartsunlimited@hughes.net.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO