lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
desigmon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default DCS Solenoid question

I just bought an Alltrax 400a controller and solenoid to fix my '99 36V cart. My problem is the solenoid isn't marked with "+BAT" so I know which side to bolt the battery pack positve to. The OEM solenoid was marked.

Can a solenoid be connected in either direction as long as all the leads are reversed respectively? I don't have enough wire length to hook up the pin connector on top of the Alltrax and then have enough wire to connect the small wires on the front. But if I can turn the solenoid upside down I think the small wires would reach.
desigmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
desigmon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DCS Solenoid question

OK, I think I found the answer. I talked with an electrical guy here at work. He said in a DC solenoid I should be able to hook positive lead to either side of the solenoid.

So I should be able to turn the solenoid upside down and I'll have enough wire length to hook everything up. I'll let you guys know how it goes. If I don't reply back then something has gone horribly wrong and I'm in the hospital w/ 3rd degree burns.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your guy is right a solenoid activation circuit has no polarity ... only the diode has polarity.

Turning the solenoid will work. It's just not ideal.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
desigmon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey thanks Scotty. This is David, I just purchased the controller and stuff from you last week. BTW those cables I got from you look really nice. I just wish the one that goes to the negative side of the battery pack was a little longer.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Return it with a note stating how long you want it .... I not sure how it could be short? Did you cut the cover in half? ...can you cut it shorter
Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
desigmon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't think it'll be short. It's just not as long as the stock one. I haven't cut the cover yet. I'm thinking I won't have to. The thickness of the controller with the solenoid on it is about the same thickness as the stock one. I'm thinking if I can get all the cables to run all the way to the bottom of the controller I won't have to cut the cover. Why do some have to cut the cover? I may just end up fabricating some cover out of diamond plate aluminum.

BTW I don't currently have a fuse going from the battery pack to the controller or solenoid. Was there supposed to be one on my cart from the factory? Can I just go to Radio Shack and pick one up? I think I need a 250A one, is this correct?
Old 07-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
desigmon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Disregard that comment on making a cover out of diamond plate. Metal contact around there could get expensive
Old 07-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Dude, Cut the controller cover in half and toss the bottom. The controller you got needs the air trust me you are not alone thousands of controller covers have been cut with everything from scissors to chain saws The cable is the correct length for a cut cover. CUT THE COVER.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:20 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You will get a fuse with the controller.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #10
desigmon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, I got the controller, solenoid and cables installed. HOLY CRAP, what a difference. I think before the install the cart would top out at maybe 10mph before. I had some really bad cables that I think slowed the fleet speed even more. But now I'm doing 20-23. I really need to program that controller for 50-75% speed untill I can get some decent tires and tighten up the steering a little. The tires that are on it sat flat for years. So the sidewalls are wrinkled and the tread is flat-spotted.

I didn't see a fuse in the box. I"ll have to go through the trash tonight to see if I can find it.

Is there any way to limit speed with an external toggle switch? Maybe somehow limit the amps to the motor?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO