lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
DerbyTracr
Not Yet Wild

Default Stop N Go, I Don't Know

Need some input on a problem with our 1985 E-Z GO electric golf cart 36 Volt (6 batteries) manufacture code B2685, S/N 350576.

For a while we've had a little chatter sound while backing up or going forward if the accelerator pedal is slightly pushed down but goes away when pedal is fully depressed.

Speed is good for an older cart and the charge last about 4 days of use before we recharge it again (Have only run out of charge one time after 6 days of use)

Now the cart stops and wont go, but intermittently when accelerator pedal is pressed on (mostly no go at this point).

I've checked all the batteries and replace one that had a bad cell and checked all cables and replaced two of the cables and cleaned all batteries connections and cleaned them also.

I'm hoping that this is something that can be repaired by myself as I'm an old elevator mechanic and do have some mechanical stills but I need some input on this as I'm not experienced with the ins and outs of the electric golf carts.

If anyone can help, I send my thanks to you up front.

Regards, DerbyTracr
DerbyTracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
desigmon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stop N Go, I Don't Know

I'm not the official welcoming commitee but I'll give it a shot.

The first thing these guys are going to get on you about is driving the cart for 4 days without recharging it. They'll probably also want to know what each battery voltage is, and what the pack voltage is. Then they'll probably ask you if you've had it in water or maybe the throttle box got wet.

Anyway, they'll be along soon. Good luck.
desigmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
DerbyTracr
Not Yet Wild

Thank you and I'll get back to trying to fix this old buggy.
Need some more input on a problem with my 1985 E-Z GO electric golf cart 36 Volt (6 batteries) manufacture code B2685, S/N 350576. What kind of cart do I own, DCS or PDS, would this be a Resistor or what??????

I've checked all the batteries and replace one as earlier stated because of a bad cell.
Checked all cables and replaced two and cleaned all batteries connections again. Every thing looks good.
I’ve hydrometer tested all cells of batteries after they were filled with distilled water and recharged. All cells showed high on hydrometer.
Checked batteries voltage and found total volts were 39 total. All 6 batteries were averaging about 6.3v to 6.5v, and the total when re-cabled and re-tested was 39.
With a brass wire brush I tried cleaning the four contacts on what looks as if it’s a board between the batteries, which is connected to the accelerator pedal linkage.
Now the cart is back together but has some new of problems. I can press on the accelerator pedal and the cart will start to move then stop (For a while I had a little chatter sound while backing up or going forward if the accelerator pedal was slightly pushed down but that symptom is no longer evident), if I tickle the pedal a little the cart will backup and go as if nothing is wrong but when I release the throttle it continued to back up slowly. At that point I press the brake pedal and switch to forward (F&R). As I let off the brake the cart starts to move forward with out pressing the accelerator pedal. The cart will operate at this point but when I lift my foot from the accelerator pedal and the cart slows down it will still creep forward as it did in reverse.
When I turn off the key the cart still moves forward slowly. So I quickly set the brake and lift the seat and disconnect the power cables from the batteries to stop the circuit (with a few sparks from the cables). Is this a solenoid problem or do I have bigger problems?

Regards, DerbyTracr

Last edited by DerbyTracr; 08-13-2011 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Added more info and questions
Old 08-14-2011, 04:29 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I tried looking up your serial number on the EZGO website and got nothing.
If you want to try it yourself, here's the URL http://www.shopezgo.com/customer-ser...ialNumber.html

Also, scroll down to the bottom of that page and they show the years various carts were produced. Yours might be a Marathon???

To find out for sure, post pictures of your cart and pictures of what is under the seat.

Once you figure out which one of the various flavors of cart you have, there ought to be a wiring diagram floating around her someplace and an old elevator guy like you ought to be able read it.

Kidding aside, I was totally lost until I got a wiring diagram for my cart. The Stickys on the first page of this section of the forum has tons of good info.

You said there was a board with 4 contacts on it that was connected to the throttle. That might mean you have a resistor cart. Is there a box with some coils of wire in it?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:57 AM   #5
SHRINER
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There should be a box that the four wires from your wiper board goes to, this is your coil box. Check the coils in this box. sounds like you have a broken coil or two.
SHRINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It does sound like the solenoid is welded shut. Replace it with a 36 volt unit. Re-clean the wiper board contacts and make sure they are filed flat and have separation between buttons... also check the moving contact's surface... then check resistor coils for breaks or burnt off ends.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
DerbyTracr
Not Yet Wild

I can do all you have out lined except what and where are the resistor coils?
Where can I find a schematic for my year and model cart?
What is the coast of a reasonable solenoid and can any 36 volt be used?

Thanks
DerbyTracr
Old 08-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Wire diagrams are in the stickies at the top of each tech section... here is yours.

In the picture below the resistor coils are in the tin box in the center of the batteries.

IF your motor runs front to back your coils may be over the passenger side axle.
They look like bed springs or toaster oven parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo-resistor-wiring-diagram.jpg (57.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4881.jpg (138.6 KB, 7 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
DerbyTracr
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Desigmon, ScottyB, Shriner and JohnnieB:
Found the coil box under the driver side and I will get into it Monday and thanks for the schmetaic. My motor does run front to back. Hope I don't have broken coil wires but when you get old thing do wear out.
I've tried the web site http://www.shopezgo.com/customer-ser...ialNumber.html and I too couldn't get any info I didn't have already about my cart.

Well thanks again and I'll post again after I change that coil and clean those contact, along with checking that coil box.

My Best to you all
DerbyTracr
Old 08-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
rib33024

Your cart is an 85 and it is a marathon
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
85 ezgo stopped, won't go
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO