lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #51
select
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Is this a good deal for me? re:2006 ezgo pd new batteries, $3k

I understand and respect your perspective.

IMVHO, the difference is that you have to already know that 36.1 is 50%. And you have to already know that 37.20 is 75%.

I'm just saying that it should be pretty easy make a meter that you don't *have* to know that 36.1 is 50% and that 37.20 is 75%. Something that would take the 36.10 and display 50.00% and have it be reasonably accurate.

I completely understand that this digital meter is more accurate than the traditional bar graphs that we've seen previously.

And yeah, HuntinBuggie, I do already have the number memorized. The wife doesn't though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPete View Post
I am just an old retired Air Force guy that loaded bombs for a living but what is the difference in knowing that 36.1 is dead vs 50% is dead? Both are just numbers that you must relate to a level of usefulness of the battery pack. To me, 50% would mean I have half of the battery life left, not dead. I know my cart is a 36 volt unit and when the battery voltage gets close to 36 volts, I better be close to home or it will die.

New batteries....one number to remember....unless you consider the 20 charging cycles you must count also.

Broke in batteries....one number to remember.

Sounds to me like you are attempting to locate a meter that will read the battery voltage in a manner that you are used to as opposed to my way of adapting my train of thought to understand the battery meters. You may have to build that meter because these cart meters have been this way for years...... Then, would the public be willing to convert their way of understanding the % vs bar graph vs digital. Some swear by the bar graph even when shown the digital is more accurate....might be a hard sell.
select is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #52
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am proud to have served and enjoyed the vast majority of it.

.....and even with a gas cart, (or any vehicle) you never know precisely how far you can go on what fuel is left. Heck, I go out for a walk and I am never sure if I have enough left in me to make it back....maybe I need a % meter on my forehead.....lol......
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #53
select
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I am proud to have served and enjoyed the vast majority of it.

.....and even with a gas cart, (or any vehicle) you never know precisely how far you can go on what fuel is left. Heck, I go out for a walk and I am never sure if I have enough left in me to make it back....maybe I need a % meter on my forehead.....lol......
I fear that I have mislead you with a poor explanation of my intentions.

I shouldn't have implied that the meter should give you a better indication of how far you have to go before you run out of juice, or even how far you have to go before you need to put it on a charge.

Rather, what I was trying to explain is that the meter should give a better reference of where in the scale of 0% - 100% the decimal value displayed falls. If I see 37.40, for example, unless I know what the range is expected to be, I don't really have a very good understanding of what the current state of charge is.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #54
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

To effectively use a % scale as a driving longevity guide, I think 36.1 volts should be indicating the batteries are at 0% use level, which is the true dead battery for use voltage. Then 100% would be 38.3 volts. With that setup, you would then know there is X% left to use and the closer it gets to 0%, the closer to home you better stay.

If a person has to remember 50% means dead....isn't that as easy as remembering 36.1 is dead? Oh well, I am going to kill some batteries now no matter what the % is....lol
Old 09-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #55
select
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
To effectively use a % scale as a driving longevity guide, I think 36.1 volts should be indicating the batteries are at 0% use level, which is the true dead battery for use voltage. Then 100% would be 38.3 volts. With that setup, you would then know there is X% left to use and the closer it gets to 0%, the closer to home you better stay.

If a person has to remember 50% means dead....isn't that as easy as remembering 36.1 is dead? Oh well, I am going to kill some batteries now no matter what the % is....lol
Yeah, but it's not *jsut* the 36.1 that you'd have to remember.

Bear with me as this is where I got other people in the thread going in the wrong direction.

Ok, in your example, say that you know that 36.1 is the drop dead 0%, and that's all you know about the scale. You look at your meter, and it says 36.19. Without knowing the scale, you really don't have any point of reference for how close you are to that 36.1. I mean, you know you're .09 away, but how much juice is that? Is it hardly any at all? Is is little bit, but not that much? Is it enough perhaps for a quick spin around the campground? There's no point of reference.

Yes, I know that all of these questions are subjective to what type of terrain, how much weight is in the cart, what size tires, etc... but... the point is that without knowing the scale, the number itself gives you no point of reference.

Conversely, if you know when it gets to 0% (which is actually 50% in your example) and your meter says 20%, you know that you currently have 20% of your total practical battery usage left, and that could can probably take a spin around the campground, maybe even take it on a quick trail if its not to far and not to hilly.

If it says 2%, then you know you don't have much juice at all (if you want to keep from over discharging), and probably should just put it on charge before doing anything else.

Does that make any sense? If I know that 36.10 is my stopping point, and I see 36.19, without knowing the scale, I don't know if 36.19 is 2% or 20% (for example), and the difference between those two percentages is the difference between putting it on the charger immediately or being able to take it out for another ride.

I'm all for the digital reading, I just think it should also give a point of reference to me more useful.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #56
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I understand what you are desiring.

It seems you want to use a system that you are very familiar with....percentage.....vs learning a new system that deals in basically a 2 volt range. Also, if I got on a strange cart and the meter said I had 50% battery left, I would figure I could use it but couldn't because that is the dead percentage on your system. If I get on one with a volt meter, I know I have a 2 volt range from the pack size.

You do know the Curtis bar graph is based on percentage....right? It just does not give you a percent number. Each bar drops down at +/- 8% battery usage I believe. Of course, it is totally shot as far as accuracy goes as I have posted comparison shots.

Also, the digital meter bounces all over the place when you are driving. I have seen 32 volts on mine under a heavy load. Would you stop driving it there if it said 40% in your system? I would not and did not.

Also, you stated your wife does not have the "dead" number memorized.....and don't take me wrong....but there are one heck of a lot of kids running these things that have learned that system real quick. My wife knows that if it reads 36.X volts, don't plan a long trip and she is on medication that effects the memory. Another thing, I try not to leave the cart sit very long with 36.X volts showing on the meter. I charge it so it is ready to play.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #57
select
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I understand what you are desiring.

It seems you want to use a system that you are very familiar with....percentage.....vs learning a new system that deals in basically a 2 volt range.
Sort of, but not exactly. I'm desiring a system that provides a point of reference, and not just the current volts.

Yes, I can learn that it's basically a 2 point system. And I can tell anyone who uses my cart that it's a 2 point system, and that if it says 37, that means it's about halfway discharged.

And it doesn't have to be a percentage. it could just as easily be something else. For exmaple, tempurature indicators sometimes provide a green, yellow, orange, red type point of reference so so you by just looking at the indicator if you're running hot or cold. Gas guages do the same.

IMO, there should be some sort of indicator, in addition to the actual volts, to let you know if the cart is well charge, about halfway, or running low on charge.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #58
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If I had known you were not so much needing a percentage....here is your gas gauge...

carts unlimited....scottyb......one of our sponsor
Old 09-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #59
select
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
If I had known you were not so much needing a percentage....here is your gas gauge...

carts unlimited....scottyb......one of our sponsor
Yep, that one looks great. I wish it also had the exact voltage of the pack in digital format.

Is this one very accurate?
Old 09-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #60
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have no idea....ask scottyb about it, he carries premo stuff. You could also get his digital unit to accomplish your goal.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO