lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
mountainman1982
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1987 DS charging receptacle fuse is too hot

Ive replaced all wires, connections, fuse, solenoids, micro switches, and I've cleaned prongs and female connections on charging receptacle and the charger cord. I'm pleased to announce that she's as good as new! Thanks for all the help and advice!
mountainman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
mountainman1982
Not Yet Wild

Ok, so the charging receptacle fuse is up to its old tricks again. Last night I plugged in the charger and nothing happened...I lifted the seat and instantly I saw the clear plastic window that covers the fuse had melted and the fuse was burnt through... also the wire that runs from the fuse to the FW/R switch was burnt through. Any help here would be great.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
galloway
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would go down to the hardware store and get some dielectric grease... Put it on the prongs of the plug. I have a camper and my plug was getting hot when I would go to different camp grounds... Talking to my uncle-in-law that is a retired electrician, if you don't have a good connection it will cause heat. When you put the dielectric grease on the prongs it will help bridge the contact and keep things cool by helping dissipate the heat. It is non conductive so you can be pretty liberal with the stuff. It is an 02 block also, so it will help with keeping things from getting corrosion.
galloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
crash test dummy

hummm ... 2 months good then it does it again ... a thought that hit me when you said the one wire was burnt through could an animal have chewed on it ?

i guess all you can do is replace wire and fuse then monitor voltage through wires to see if it is correct
Old 08-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What amperage does the charger show when charging? It should start at 20amps or so and taper down to 3 - 5amps after several hours. If the charge rate stays high, you have a battery problem and the extra current will melt the fuse housing over time.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
mountainman1982
Not Yet Wild

After taking a better look at it this morning, I replaced the wire that runs from the fuse to the f/r switch and the wire that runs from the fuse to the charging receptacle. I replaced the fuse with an extra that I bought when this was happening before and plugged it in. Right now its charging at just above 20 Amps and both of those two wires I replaced are very hot. I felt of every other wire and those are the only two that are hot.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #17
mountainman1982
Not Yet Wild

Just checked on it and the charger is reading 15 Amperes and those two wires are still warm but not nearly as hot as they were when I first plugged her in.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #18
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Make sure that the wiring you replaced is an equal or larger gauge than the original! If not, it will get hot!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car