lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Is 82 Club Car worth a rebuild?

Well, as per this thread.......... http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...o-forward.html
im wondering is this old girl is even worth a go over..... I hate to sink money in it but if I do, im going in heavy, I could turn it in to a father/son project over the winter and sell it better that way, but being as abused as it is I hate to go forward and find out a frame problem or something major........are there spots / things on the frame somewhere I should look out for before i start this deal?
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
NoBullBarry
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Is 82 Club Car worth a rebuild?

I would get it running and leave it at that. Those older Club Cars are the easiest carts to repair. your problem is something with the last two or three batteries on the passenger side depending where the reverse is tapped from. Either #3 or #4 battery. It is usually a green wire coming from the F/R switch. A bad connection or a bad battery.
NoBullBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
NoBullBarry
Not Yet Wild

A quick way to check is to remove the red wire coming from the F/R switch to the last battery and hook it up where the green wire is. My bet is that the cart will go forward. Slow but forward.
NoBullBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

I guess what im asking would be, is an 82 club car frame an ok one to build from?......I mean, I hate to find out something like "way easier to get parts for an 85 ".....or ...."those frames/ rear ends are junk"......that kinda thing
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
I guess what im asking would be, is an 82 club car frame an ok one to build from?......I mean, I hate to find out something like "way easier to get parts for an 85 ".....or ...."those frames/ rear ends are junk"......that kinda thing
The frames are the same ones they put on them today. They are aluminum, so no rust.
The rear ends I think are pretty much the same too.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

I upgraded my 91 resistor to a solid state via ScottyB's conversion kit. Woke her right up! Will be upping to 48v and just received a motor from plum quick. Custom paint and accessories throughout.

I find a golf cart is much like a Harley in that each one can be customized to meet the needs, budget and personality of the rider. Also very rewarding to wrench on and a great father son project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0956.JPG (68.5 KB, 0 views)
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
scotter
Gone Wild

Club Car

There are plenty of 1988 carts "alive" out there. Is your cart worth a rebuild? Depends on how much abuse your cart has sustained over the years, and to what level of "re-build" you want to do (read: investment of time and money).
Things I would look at:
I would seriously inspect the main I-beam frame for any cracks, especially from the firewall forward. I would inspect every weld on the firewall. I would also look at all the welds on the floorboard. Inspect the battery trays. All of this can be fixed or beefed up if needed. Check for the rear bumper tabs at the rear of the I-beams and the seat tabs - are they still there or broken off? Does any of the aluminum look bent, twisted or gorked? Crawl under the cart and spend some time there.

Hows the rear end/differential? Dry (no leaks) and quiet when running?
Hows the motor sound and perform? With the age, the motor may need some attention, eventually.
The fiberglass body can be repaired or replaced with a newer plastic body, if needed.
The seats can be recovered.

Then there are wheel bearings, suspension bushings, tie rod ends, brakes etc to inspect for play and tighten/adjust or replace.

She's an old gal at 25 years of age. She'll need some TLC. If the major components are sound, then yes, she's a good candidate. But understand, when your done and go to sell, you'll still have a 25 yr old cart. Most will look at the age and low ball your price. (Think about what you paid, based on the age and battery condition).

Been there, done that. Investment-wise, it's a lose. Enjoyment-wise, it's been very gratifying (IF you have the money, time and an understanding wife)!
scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car