lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Big Jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Info Request: GE Series Controller Adjustment

On my 97 CC DS, I upgraded the controller/solenoid/F-R switch, & cables to a 500-amp system for farm use & hunting.
I noticed something in the literature for the FSIP GE Series 500-amp controller:
Of the 3 adjustments that can be made, there is a voltage screw that "can be adjusted from 50%-100% of the max by turning clockwise with a screwdriver".
1. What is the factory preset %?
2. By adjusting this screw, does that adjust torque or speed?

What is your experience with this setting?
Big Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Info Request: GE Series Controller Adjustment

I believe its output voltage, that would be mainly speed, but reducing voltage would have an effect on torque as well. BE VERY CAREFULL!! THOSE SCREWS ARE VERY SENSITIVE. a little bit of turn goes a long way. I have used a small rivet shank flattened as a screwdriver, Put heatshrink tube on the "screwdriver" to prevent it from grounding against the controller housing. I would recommend leaving those alone really, you could easily mistakenly take the controller beyond its parameters and kill it. If you must tinker, go ahead, but be warned...
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I believe its output voltage, that would be mainly speed, but reducing voltage would have an effect on torque as well. BE VERY CAREFULL!! THOSE SCREWS ARE VERY SENSITIVE. a little bit of turn goes a long way. I have used a small rivet shank flattened as a screwdriver, Put heatshrink tube on the "screwdriver" to prevent it from grounding against the controller housing. I would recommend leaving those alone really, you could easily mistakenly take the controller beyond its parameters and kill it. If you must tinker, go ahead, but be warned...
Really? Take time to go to the FSIP website and read about the controller adjustments before you start mis-advising people about the product.
If the OP has bought the controller new he has the adjustment instruction sheet or he can get it from the website.
The out-put adjustment screw adjusts from 50-100% of the controllers potential. It is factory set at 100%. You can NOT harm the controller with this adjustment !? This adjustment will not change the voltage output or the speed of the cart. This adjustment does not need an insulated screw driver.
Adjustment will reduce the amount of amperage the controller allows to pass. This reduced amperage will reduce the torque the motor can produce.

Please go to FSIP.com for more reliable information.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I was not intentionaly giving bad info. I found that the "pots" could be adjusted up or down, more down than up. My "uninsulated" screwdriver arced like static (didnt hurt anything), but i have never put a un-insulated screwdriver in there again. As for the screwdriver, i would rather err on the side of caution.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
scottginfla
72 volt torque monster

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I would recommend leaving those alone really, you could easily mistakenly take the controller beyond its parameters and kill it. If you must tinker, go ahead, but be warned...
the pots are exactly in the range of adjustment, thats why you can adjust them I don't know who told you this stuff, but very bad advice indeed.
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There is no test for usernames when you sign up here.

Anybody could sign up as 'golfcartguru' and the readers have no idea what that person's credentials are beyond the obvious impression that the name implies

Everybody - be careful when you post. People come here for advice and simply take what is posted as truth.

No offense is meant to any of our contributors. This forum has taught me to error on the side of caution.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Big Jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sorry if my info request struck a nerve, but I have been known for diving into DIY projects before asking advice. That is something that i am trying to change, hence the frequent and basic nature of my questions.
My original question was due to what I read in the FSIP instructions, and my same question to their tech was confirmed in Scotty B's response, the factory preset is 100%.
BTW, in my experience on DIY projects like this, I have learned to trust but verify...
Thanks to all & I shall keep asking for your suggestions until I learn enough to offer my own to others.
Big Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car