lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
HottyToddy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Charging problem

New guy needs some help!! I bought a 07 Precedent recently. The cart had 2 8v and 2 12v batteries on it and wouldn't run. The cart is a 4 12v battery set up. I put 4 brand new US Battery batteries on it and it run great! When I plugged it up to the charger it wouldn't charge. I put it in the shed and left it plugged up to the charger. I also got one of the club's precedents and plugged it up to my charger and it immediately started charging. Found this forum that night and from what I read it seems like I need a OBC?? The next morning I go to the shed and the cart is charging. So I figure great I don't need a OBC. I haved played 3 or 4 rounds of golf and yesterday evening a girlfriend that used my cart said it run out of juice right before the shed. I go out there this morning and its charging away.... Is this a sign of a OBC going out or might it be something in the charger? Thanks for your help and be kind to the new guy with little golf cart knowledge...
HottyToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Bill
Getting Wild

Default Re: Charging problem

You probably aren't charging it enough.
The runtime on the 4 12V is very short. 3 rounds of golf is pushing it let alone adding a nightime drive.
The charger will not start if the pack voltage is too low. Letting it sit may have allowed the voltage to rise enough for the charger to kick on.
Before replacing anything I would put a FULL charge on it then run it for a round or two of golf max then recharge fully. Try this a few times and see whqt happens.
Do a serrch on the 4 12V pack and You will find a lot of people convert to the 6 8V configuration to get extended runtime.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
HottyToddy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Would the charger not put a full charge on them? The 2 times I have been at the shed in the morning the charger was running. Two of the times I played were only 9 holes and then plugged the charger back up so I'm not sure if it kicked on later like it did before? Yeah I've seen the conversions but I didn't want to spend that much on it right now.... We use Yamaha carts at work and 3 of them have 4 12's on them and they run all day long so I figured I would be fine with only using mine to play golf with and mostly just 18 holes on fairly level ground... Thanks for your help!
Old 09-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Bill
Getting Wild

If the charger is still running it isn't finished charging. a discharged pack can take better than 12hrs to completely charge.
Does the charger have an amp gauge on it ? If so, the charger will not shut off until the amperage is 0.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
HottyToddy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Yes it has a meter on it. It's a powerdrive 2. It's the factory charger. It was running and was probaly around 10 amps when I saw it this morning. When it was running the other morning it was around 5 amps when I saw it and when I came back about 5:30 that evening the charger wasn't running so I assumed it ran a full charge?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

When you first plug in the charger, it will come on, then click off, then right back on and continue charging. This is normal and is just a precharge check of the system. Have you tried an OBC reset?
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tting-obc.html
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
HottyToddy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Yes I tried the reset but did not get a buzzer or anything else? When I plugged my charger up to another cart it clicked right on but does not on mine. I haven't seen another post about the charger coming on later after its plugged in like mine is doing? But I may have overlooked a post about it? I had first thought the obc was bad from what I've read and when I went to get my serial # that morning the charger was running so I figured I was good to go....
Old 09-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Most people don't get a reverse buzzer when resetting the OBC, so that's normal.
I would say that your OBC is more than likely faulty. Have you double checked that you hooked up your new batteries correctly? There should be a positive charge wire going to the main positive post on the pack.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
HottyToddy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Yeah I have checked the wiring and all is okay... I sell used big trucks and equipment and have to constantly work on getting things fixed on our stuff so I'm used to diagnosing basic things just never fooled with any golf carts....
Old 09-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

These things can be a pain when they don't work right...
So if your charger charges another cart fine, it is probably ok.
What exactly does it do when you plug it in?
Does it click and does the ammeter move at all?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car