lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
ClubCarDude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 2003 CC DS 48v Not Charging (Lightning Strike)

I have a 2003 Club Car DS 48v. During a bad storm we had lightning hit right next to where I store my cart. I don't know if it was a direct hit but was pretty close as I saw the bolt out of the corner of my eye.

Anyhow the cart runs fine but won't charge after the lightning. I have reset the OBC more than once. The first time I reset the OBC the charger clicked on and ammeter read real high volts and stopped after like one second. But now it won't do anyting again. No click, no hum, no ammeter movement, nada.

I JUST replaced the Relay and Rectifier with new ones. Still doesn't work. No nothing from charger. The 15A circuit breaker isn't connected in the charger and it has never been connected since I've had the cart. Previous Owner must have bypassed it I guess.

Pack voltage is 44.4v so its high enough to kick on charger. Fuse in charger and on cart are good and so is the fuse inside the yellow fuse holder inside cart. I am assuming at this point its the transformer or OBC but i don't know how to test for it. Don't want to just buy a charger if its OBC you know? Or vice versa. Help Please...
ClubCarDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2003 CC DS 48v Not Charging (Lightning Strike)

Wow, we really need to get those batts charged, they are being damaged right now...
The breaker should be hooked up, it is a safety device. Can you see where the wires are that connect to the breaker in the charger case?
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
ClubCarDude
Gone Wild

Club Car

no i don't see the wires inside the charger for the cir breaker It was never connected but it always worked so i nevr worried about it.

batteries haven't been charged for about 4 weeks now :(. I have a 6/12v charger that i could charge batts individually. But pack is at 44v so its enough to kick on charger though right?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Laker_Dave
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If you are comfortable poking around inside the charger, disconnect one of the yellow transformer secondary leads going to the rectifier.
According to the manual I have, when power is applied, if you measure 43 VAC or higher, the transformer is OK. If you measure 42.5 VAC or less, the transformer is bad.
Remember you will have to bypass the power relay contacts in the charger to get AC power to the primary of the transformer to run the test.
Laker_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Yes 44v is enough to turn it on.
Do you have any other carts around you that you could try your charger on?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
ClubCarDude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks laker dude I don't know though if I feel comfortable with high voltage while plugged in messing with the charger.

No Jake I have no other 48v cart test with. Just an older 36 volt DS.

I read somewhere that Scotty said that with lightning it was 50 percent rectifier fail and 50 percent the OBC fail.

When it's light tomorrow I'm going to do the OBC jumper test im just not sure exactly which battery to jump from the fuse holder from the OBC with.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubCarDude View Post
No Jake I have no other 48v cart test with. Just an older 36 volt DS.
Ok don't plug it into your 36v.

Crash test dummy will come along with his OBC bypass diagram...
Old 10-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

See if a golf cart shop near you can rent or lend you a charger. It's important to get your batteries charged! Also if a known good charger works, it eliminates the OBC from the equation. If you have 12V batteries and can't get a cart charger, you can use an automotive one set on 12V and charge each battery separately.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Fspor
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Just glancing through and saw the reference to a OBC bypass diagram for a 48V Club Car. I recently changed the OBC's on 2 different Club Cars due to the OBC not enabling the main relay. Both worked out fine. However, seems that this may come in handy someday down the road. Would anyone like to share? It would be much appreciated.
Fspor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
scottginfla
72 volt torque monster

Club Car

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...gnose-obc.html
second post down
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car