lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
Rics68
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default How much damage did I do.

I failed to check the water in my batteries. The water was just below the top of the plates when I did check it. First bad thing! Got some distilled water and filled the batteries. Second bad thing. Then charged the batteries. Starting to feel like Britney Spears here. Normally the charger runs for about 4 to 5 hours for a full charge. After all the bad things I did the charger run for about 18 hours for a full charge. 03 DS with a powerdrive 2. Did I shorten my battery life?
Rics68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: How much damage did I do.

yes you did shorten their life BUT .. you did the right thing getting the water over the plates as soon as you found it ,
also depleted batteries will take a longer charge time , you will see improved chargeing times as batteries get the new water activated
Old 11-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Letting them run low on fluid is never good. From now on check them once a month and hope for the best. Remember, add water to barely cover plates before charging, then recheck after charge cycle completes...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
scottginfla
72 volt torque monster

Club Car

or better yet, get a watering kit
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
Rics68
Getting Wild

Club Car

Well I guess it's good I'm learning with Exide batteries. So far the batteries have served me well. But I know there is better. I would really feel bad if I mistreated a high quality battery like this. I'm learning!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
gumpbuck
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not the end of the world here.... I have 2011 Trojan t875s. Mine were far worse a shape then you have described. Filled them. Charged them and am using a 48v battery tender desulfanator. I took the cart out for quick short trips and the put back on the charger. Did that for several cycles.
Charging time is normal now. Run time seems to be fine also. I go for about a day and a half at my hunt lease before they are down to 50%.
Now, how many more years I get is unknown, but for now, they are doing just fine.
gumpbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Rics68
Getting Wild

Club Car

I took a quick trip with my cart. Took no time to charge batteries. Maybe they are ok
Old 11-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #8
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rics68 View Post
I took a quick trip with my cart. Took no time to charge batteries. Maybe they are ok
You probably didn't hurt them too badly, just took a little bit off the overall lifespan most likely. Honestly, I've had carts that had terrible battery maintenance before I got them and the batteries lasted and delivered respectable run times for a LONG time. I've had neglected batteries go 7 years before - I thought that was pretty good. I'm most definitely NOT saying that everyone should neglect their batteries, but it's not the end of the world if you forget to check the water for a little while, as long as you remedy the situation.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car