lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #1
eat wake
Not Yet Wild

Default 1988 club car ds running hot...

Long story short, this cart has gone back and forth between my uncle and I. It has sat quite a bit the past 5-7 years. He had some work done to it, but I don't recall what it was exactly ( he has since passed away). My cousin spray bombed it so it's real ugly right now!!

Anyway, I took it for about a mile cruise and I felt when I got back the motor was hotter than it should have been. The oil level is fine, air filter is clean. The only thing I can really think of is the exhaust baffles are corroded pretty bad. Do you guys think the exhaust could be my issue due to the lack of back pressure? Or is there a common thing I could bye missing? I plan to slowly fix this cart up, but I want to get the motor running solid to start.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the beaut!
eat wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #2
bigcee
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 club car ds running hot...

I would like to know more about this problem too. I may have the same problem as you with an 86 DS.
bigcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
sledparts
Not Yet Wild

chances are its running lean due to the jet being gummed up in the carb

if the spark plug tip is white you are in danger of blowing the motor

new carbs are cheap on ebay now ($24) and rebuilding/cleaning an old one doesn't guarantee it will work - I just buy new ones now for peace of mind and saves time.
sledparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:25 AM   #4
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

How are you checking to know if it's too hot? I'd like to check mine also.

I checked with a wireless temp gun, and the motor casing was 200 degrees and the muffler was 500 after a couple mile drive.
Jeffreynmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
eat wake
Not Yet Wild

Thx sled parts for the advise, I will likely get a new carb to run regardless.

Jeffrey- I was just going off from the feel from my hand. It was definety too hot to grab, but I do have a temp gauge at work I will grab and see what numbers I get.

I did swap out the exhaust with a new one, but I still have an odd rattle I can't track down. I am having trouble uploading the video (says network error failure) but it kind of sounds like piston slap, can anyone verify if that's what it sounds like if I get this uploaded? It gets worse (or more consistent) with higher RPMs.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #6
eat wake
Not Yet Wild

Anyone think the rattle I hear may be piston slap?
Old 10-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
mrlmd
Gone Wild

I also have a rattle-type noise which may be the same thing and I did post a video on here and nobody was able to offer any suggestions yet. Look for my post from 10/13 about a noisy engine and see if this is similar to yours. At first I thought it was a bearing or valve tap but I can't find the source.
Piston slap usually starts with a cold engine and disappears as it warms up. It's also a benign condition and nothing to worry about.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:04 PM   #8
toxicwaste29
Gone Wild
Club Car

Do you have the huge exhaust clamp on the muffler? If that is missing it could cause a rattle.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #9
eat wake
Not Yet Wild

Default 1988 club car ds running hot...

I keep getting a network error when I try to upload the video, does it need to be uploaded to a host site? I can text it to anyone interested in hearing it to see if they have input.

I have since acquired another motor off CL, so if needed I will swap it out completely. The motor I got on CL has a shot CDI I was told and recently received a new piston and rings. It's hard to trust everything you find on CL but the guy seemed honest.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

It's easiest to register and open a YouTube account, down load it there, and post it here!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car