lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #1
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Default High torque spring in 86 DS

Tomorrow I will get in the mail a high torque spring for my secondary clutch and am wondering if anyone has any tips of what to do or what not to do in installing this. I'm pretty good at mechanics as I've been making my toys all my life, (67YO.) I use my DS as a means to an end the end being to get my old *** around the woods in my quest for the all elusive Morel Mushrooms. Well those in the early spring and Oyster Mushrooms the rest of the year.
My clutch is the one with the big 2 inch nut. I've taken the smaller bolt out of the end of the shaft and the clutch will slip right off the input shaft to the tranny so getting it out and on the work bench will be no problem.
My hunting territory is in the foothills of the Ozarks and its up big hills and down the other sides kind of territory. Right now I can make it without much problems but would like to have the added torque that this spring will bring me. I moved the motor forward just to the point where the cart would rake the gears when I shifted it into gear then backed it up just to where it no longer does that and as long as I start off from a stop at the base of a big hills and keep the rpms low I can make it up any that I come to but it leaves me wondering if I'm going to make it this time or not, hence the high torque spring. On some of the bigger hills if I get a little too heavy footed on the throttle I'll come to a halt and will have to let the cart roll backward a tad then take off easy again. I've about got it down to a science but you know how that is.
It looks like the 2 inch nut is a left hand thread. I see where someone at some point in time has tried to move it by way of a chisel going both directions but I'll be using an impact wrench. What do I have to look out for when I remove that big nut, is **** going to fly to the point that I need to fabricate a cage to keep it from flying across the shop floor or is it soft enough at that point that I can handle it? What about the new spring will it be a bugger to get compressed to the point where I can get the nut started?
Thanks in advance for any tips of do's and don'ts.
Peace
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: High torque spring in 86 DS

If you have the 1984-1987 older style driven (secondary) clutch, I don't think your high torque spring is going to fit. From what I know, you can only upgrade the springs in the 1987.5-newer driven clutches. I'm not aware of a torque spring upgrade for the older driven clutches like the one you have. When you ordered it did you confirm that it would fit your '86?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:38 AM   #3
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

It works like a charm.
I can go up the hills like they weren't there, spinning the wheels all the way up if I so chose. definitely made a difference. It'll take some getting use to as the engine is running at a higher rpm at low speeds now but there is no slippage. It'll descend the hills without using the brakes too except on the very steepest parts.
Yes I emailed to make sure it would fit and was told it was a fit and sure enough it was a fit.
My brothers Mule has the same secondary clutch and we plan to put this same spring in it as he has problems with the hills also.
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:01 AM   #4
miker
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I did the spring in mine with stock tires wow what a difference
miker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car