lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #1
Justintroy
Not Yet Wild

Default gearing questions.

I have a few questions on gearing. My club car ds is gas power with the stock FE290. I was looking into the re gear. There's two that I have seen. 8:1 and 6:1. I know I'm sacrificing torque for top speed. But let's say I did a 6:1 re gear and then sent my clutch off to get machined for torque and a new spring. Would that help? I've read alot of people saying there sluggish off the start. What kind of sluggish are we talking about here? Like barely wanting to take off with 2 or 4 passengers. Or just not peeling out when you hit the gas? I mean I don't want to have to jump off to help the golf cart go or anything. Lol it will be used primarily for driving the beaches and roads in a small town. I'm wanting 25 to 35 mph if that's possible. What am I needing to do for that? I don't want to engine swap.... yet.
Justintroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: gearing questions.

Well... you'll have to understand that the FE290 is JUST a 9.5hp engine,
so, the only "peeling out" you'll get do is... on ice!

With your 06 on 22" tires, the highest (or lowest) gearing I'd go is the 8.1 with the driven clutch machined,
and that may only get you to about 25 mph, (depending if you mess with the governor or not)
And yes... it will still be "sluggish" from the get-go, especially with more than 2 people on it!

IMO? 30 to 35 mph is pretty much out of the question with what your running now!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #3
Justintroy
Not Yet Wild

That's kind of what I figured too. Is there a budget friendly motor swap out there? Or is that as impossible as me getting my motor to propel me at 30mp? Lol I'd be happy if I could get 25mph. If there's a decent swap out there. I'd Entertain that option. I don't need a dragster by any means. Just something that will keep up with the newer carts.
I have another question while I'm here. My CC has the factory headlights. Well, there gone. I ordered aftermarket more appealing headlights and they don't fit. The plastic barely covers the pre cut hole. The screws will have nothing to bite into. So am I left with only having the oem lights as replacement?
Old 02-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

If you look into the Clone swaps, and your mechanically inclined,
you can get a Harbor Freight Duromax or Predator engine, and do it yourself for around $300!

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/clone-engine-swaps/

As for the factory headlight cutouts... NOPE! you have to use stock headlight bezels to fit in them!
(I have yet to see aftermarket headlights that will fit in the factory cutouts!)
Old 02-25-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
Justintroy
Not Yet Wild

I'd say im pretty mechanical. So something like that should be alright. Plus whatever I can't figure out, I have this forum right?!

Well, that's a bummer about the headlights. There pretty ugly.. I guess it beats buying a 317 dollar cowl though.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Whew... $317 just for the front cowl? you need to shop around my friend!,
I can get a fully painted body from my Club Car dealer for $300, and THAT'S a CC dealer!
(I'm not sure what his prices are for used, unpainted bodies, all I know is he had a bunch of them!)
Old 02-25-2016, 08:34 PM   #7
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

[QUOTE=lockman1;1246594]Well... you'll have to understand that the FE290 is JUST a 9.5hp engine,
so, the only "peeling out" you'll get do is... on ice!

ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:13 PM   #8
Justintroy
Not Yet Wild

Should I open a new thread to ask new questions? I have a question about my starter now. Lol okay, when I got the cart the starter was seized up. I took it off cleaned it up and it seemed to turn over okay. (No belt on it yet) well then I painted it and put it back on and now it struggles to start. Especially if it's starting on the compression stroke. Well I noticed smoke coming up. I looked under the starter and the short wire that jumps from the front of the starter to the side. Its A2 to F1 I believe. Well, on the F1 side of the starter. It starts glowing red and smoking. I cleaned all the terminals and the starter was able to start the cart a few times. Which is the first time Ive got it to fire and actually run in the week I've owned it! But it has trouble with the initial start. Once it's spinning it's fine. Is this a bad starter or am I looking over the basics. Cables, connections, grounds? I'm not trying to save the starter. But also Its good then I don't want to chunk it and have the same problems.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:15 PM   #9
Justintroy
Not Yet Wild

Wow, that's crazy cheap! I found the one for 317 on buggies unlimited. Maybe not the best place to shop but the only one I really know about at the time.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:24 AM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

There's no problem with starting a new thread about your S/G, it may get more replies!
But double check that you have a good ground the the S/G!

and yeah... My CC dealer just sends out used bodies, get's them painted for $200, and turns around and sells them for $300!
it's an easy money maker for him!

Tags
6:1, 8:1, clutch, springs
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car