lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
HuskyLover
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Nerf Bar Installation Question

Hi everyone. I have a question about installation of some All Sports Sport Steps I purchased that did not come with any instructions. I actually was able to find the instructions on the website, but they are vague. I am attaching a photo from the instructions as well as a photo of the spacers that come with the kit. My question is, where do the spacers go? Between the frame and step? To me, it looks like in the photo the step is right against the frame, so what would be the point of putting the spacer behind the step? TIA

These are the instructions below the photo:
 Remove side bumper panels (EZ-Go).
 Use step for template.
 Drill two 5/16” holes into frame.
 Install step with aluminum spacer to cart.
 Re-install bumper panels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg step inst..jpg (144.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg sport steps.jpg (32.6 KB, 0 views)
HuskyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
clr.R4tch3t
Getting Wild

Default Re: Nerf Bar Installation Question

I am guessing that spacer gives some stiffness to the step. Just a bolt head would want to rotate and bend down, where the spacer puts the stress in the middle of the bolt and brings the moment of angle out. I would guess it runs frame -> step -> spacer.
clr.R4tch3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
HuskyLover
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you! That's kind of along the lines I was thinking. Just don't want to install it wrong and have it break when someone stood on it. Plus, if I put the spacer between the frame and step, there wouldn't be much step sticking out.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #4
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

Well I think its this way: My TXT outside frame rails wrap around underneath, forming like an " L " shape. To take up the space between outside rail and step, you need to space that distance. See diagram I drew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170326_173813.jpg (154.1 KB, 0 views)
LVCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
clr.R4tch3t
Getting Wild

I can also get on board with that design, LVCJ. It would all depend on the frame rail design.
clr.R4tch3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:35 AM   #6
HuskyLover
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCJ View Post
Well I think its this way: My TXT outside frame rails wrap around underneath, forming like an " L " shape. To take up the space between outside rail and step, you need to space that distance. See diagram I drew.
This makes the most sense for the spacers, except for the fact that it sets the step back (under the floor) almost 2", which doesn't leave much sticking out.

I'm thinking if this is the way they are supposed to go, I may just return them and scrap the whole idea. At least I learned a valuable lesson from this. Do NOT put your fender flares on before deciding to remove the rocker covers!
Old 03-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #7
WVHarley
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I agree with LVCJ. My only issue would be Yes they look cool, But what happens when you you step on them over time? I see you them starting to sag down and create a slight destortion in the frame. Second question would be, will your side panels fit back on without having a bow in them from hitting the bolt heads? Bottom line is I think they are for looks only and hope your side panels go back on without any issues. Sorry if I sound like an a**. No harm in trying. Let us know how it works out. GOOD LUCK!!!
WVHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:40 AM   #8
HuskyLover
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVHarley View Post
I agree with LVCJ. My only issue would be Yes they look cool, But what happens when you you step on them over time? I see you them starting to sag down and create a slight destortion in the frame. Second question would be, will your side panels fit back on without having a bow in them from hitting the bolt heads? Bottom line is I think they are for looks only and hope your side panels go back on without any issues. Sorry if I sound like an a**. No harm in trying. Let us know how it works out. GOOD LUCK!!!

You don't sound like a burro at all. I have no clue what I'm doing as this is our first cart and I'm tying to figure things out as I go, so I am open to any opinions, good or bad. I am the builder, mechanic, fix it person in the family, husband is barred from using any tools other than a shovel! One thing is for sure, the cart may not run well, but it sure will look good when I'm done

Going to work on it this weekend and see what I can come up with. If I can't make it work to be a functional step, then there's really no point in putting them on. It does make sense to put the spacer between the frame rail and the step hanger, so when you put weight on the step it would force the hangers toward the frame. It would be nice if they gave shorter spacers though, so they didn't set the step back so far. My frame is also "L" shaped, but the lip on the bottom is only about a 1/4" and the spacer is nearly 2".

I was concerned about the rocker cover too. I'm going to put bolts in the holes that are already there for that and see how it fits over them before I drill any new holes. I would just return the steps, but I ended up in the hospital a couple weeks ago and I'm past the return window :(
Old 03-28-2017, 07:03 PM   #9
WVHarley
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

If you are past the return window there is only one direction to go, Forward! Bolt them up, I am sure once you start putting things together it will all make sence. Just no take it easy on the step till you figure out how well they will hold up. Let us know how they turn out.
WVHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO