lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #11
75Harley
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 91 Marathon Resurrection

Thank you, that is just what I needed to see. I put new crank seals in and reed gaskets, carb gaskets and I put the engine back in and it runs like a top!!
75Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #12
Granger ezgo
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I too resurrected a rotting 89 marathon I think the old metal bodied carts are cool, keep at it and you'll be putting around in no time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1645.jpg (271.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2413.jpg (111.0 KB, 0 views)
Granger ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #13
Pig Punisher
Not Yet Wild

Where do I start? First off thanks for the replies and the help. I guess I'll start with exhaust. I built one. I think it is going to work ok but it's LOUD. When I first got the exhaust bolted up and had raw fuel blowing out of the exhaust. Adjusted my float and air fuel mixture and got the cart running pretty good, but still rich as it is smoking a lot.

After running here for a while I put the drive belt on and jacked her up to watch the clutches only to find out I've been running this whole time in reverse! So I flipped the fnr switch to forward and nothing. It won't turn the engine over. The engine is also much harder to spin by hand in forward. Anyone know why that would be? I will be replacing cables and cleaning connections this evening and will report back.

Oh yeah. The driven clutch is only opening about half way right now and I am dumping gear oil at the seal on the rear end where the clutch is attached. Anyone know how hard it is to replace the bearing and seal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0882.jpg (272.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0883.jpg (193.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0887.jpg (142.0 KB, 0 views)
Pig Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #14
Pig Punisher
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granger ezgo View Post
I too resurrected a rotting 89 marathon I think the old metal bodied carts are cool, keep at it and you'll be putting around in no time
Great looking cart. Will help keep me motivated
Old 07-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #15
Granger ezgo
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, there's an o ring sandwiched between the back of the driven shaft bearing and shaft that creates a seal, trouble is to my knowledge all the lower gears have to be removed to remove the driven shaft and bearings. I was a bit apprehensive at first but was easier Than I expected, try to salvage the freeze plugs if possible. I wasn't able to find new ones.
Hopefully someone out there will chime in with more experience than me and make this easier for you.

This link was provided to me by a member and was helpful
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post658807
Old 07-12-2017, 09:17 PM   #16
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Can I ask were you got the reeds from?
Or did you just replace the gasket?
I got one of my carts with bad reeds, still runs but not strong.
Thanks
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:02 AM   #17
75Harley
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I couldn't find the reed valve themselves, I just replaced the 2 gaskets. I would like to find them though.
75Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #18
Pig Punisher
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granger ezgo View Post
Thanks, there's an o ring sandwiched between the back of the driven shaft bearing and shaft that creates a seal, trouble is to my knowledge all the lower gears have to be removed to remove the driven shaft and bearings. I was a bit apprehensive at first but was easier Than I expected, try to salvage the freeze plugs if possible. I wasn't able to find new ones.
Hopefully someone out there will chime in with more experience than me and make this easier for you.

This link was provided to me by a member and was helpful
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post658807
Thanks for the link. That will help a bunch. Do we have the same rear end as the Dana for electric carts? Would that bearing and o-ring be the same as electric from the same era?
Old 07-13-2017, 08:37 PM   #19
Granger ezgo
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Punisher View Post
Thanks for the link. That will help a bunch. Do we have the same rear end as the Dana for electric carts? Would that bearing and o-ring be the same as electric from the same era?
I think so other than the input shaft being shorter, this manual was helpful as well.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...5-28148g01.pdf
Old 08-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #20
Pig Punisher
Not Yet Wild

It's been a while since I last posted, but it's review time at work (I have to write 11 reviews on my guys) and I have a brand new son at home (my 4th child....all with the same woman!) I haven't forgotten the cart however.

Let's see. I got the rear axle finished. I had a bad bearing on the input shaft. For anyone wondering, and correct me if I am wrong, the input shaft for the gas marathon is no longer available nor are the governor parts. So I had to be careful with what I had.

The rear end DOES have to be completely disassembled to remove the input shaft and while the links were very helpful the intermediate shaft removal is not the same as an electric cart axle. You must remove one bearing from the outside to remove the intermediate shaft because the governor is in the way. I used a concrete anchor as a makeshift bearing puller to accomplish this. Worked great.

I did however break my governor when I pullled the input shaft, so I will be running with no governor. I will be posting pics when I get a chance and in a location with more bandwidth. So. Rear end is back together with no governor and brand new bearings and brakes.

The other thing is I have been dealing with my slow starter generator and I think I have it figured out. There again I have pictures that I can't upload right now, but I fought this for awhile and finally disassembled the starter generator after burning up the A1 terminal and found a broken terminal and brush holder. Fortunately I found an end cap complete with terminals, brush holder and brushes on eBay. Hopefully that will take care of my starter problems.

Things are moving pretty smoothly and I think I will have the cart moving under its own power in a week or two. I will keep you posted. Time for a step 6!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO