lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2017, 01:57 PM   #1
astronaughtzi@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Default 88/89 ez go ...fuel proplem/timing problem

Hello,
I recently aqqired an 88-89 ez go golf cart with the robin engine that had a cracked piston. I pulled the moter and did a top and bottom end rebuild. New everything! After i put it all back together i got 140 lbs compression, checked the crank seals with starting fluid, new carb, new fuel pump witch is pumping fuel into the carb, checked spark it is good, it fires with a dab of starting fluid....but acts like it is not getting fuel...when i pull the plug it is brand new looking...so im thinking no fuel is being pushed to it...i tried spraying fuel in the air breather like i did the starting fluid but that didnt help...so could this maybe be a timing issue?
astronaughtzi@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #2
astronaughtzi@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 88/89 ez go ...fuel proplem/timing problem

After some more research it might be the reed valve...everything i read says timing wont keep it from startin it will just make it run like crap...perhaps i have a stuck reed valve
Old 09-03-2017, 11:30 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Let's start easy. 88, and 89 are two different engines. An 88 has the spark plug on the side. An 89 has the plug on top.

140 pounds of compression is too good for your engine. You most likely installed the piston backwards.

The square hole on the side of the piston is supposed to face the intake side. Remove the exhaust pipe, and watch the piston move up, and down by hand. If you see the square hole, it's wrong.

Rings go bevel side up also.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
astronaughtzi@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Ok so this would be an 88...plug is on the side...will it fire up if the piston is in backwards?...i replaced all the fuel line and it fired rivht up...but i havnt had time to finish installing the throttle cables and take it for a ride....just wondering if it can still fire up with piston in wrong
Old 09-04-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
astronaughtzi@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

It turns out i did put the piston in wrong...looks like another fri night engine pull is in store....the good news is i should be extremely proficient at it this time
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO