lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2017, 01:50 AM   #11
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Governor help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjonman View Post
Umm.....faster the better. So please give me more things. I got rid of my last car because it wasn't fast enough.
Ok, So we do not lose the track of this thread, without too much detail, you can change the compression a lot by fitting a cylinder head from a 295cc engine, doing a modification to the standard exhaust or fitting a better flowing aftermarket exhaust, changing out springs in both clutches, you should already have a 28 degree driven clutch for more torque so larger tyres with a bigger rolling radius will also help as you already have a fair bit of torque to, let the engine work less for more speed. I have not been in this business for a while now so availability of aftermarket exhausts i cannot comment on. But the biggest change for you right now would be the 295 cylinder head and bigger tyres, that is assuming you have not already done this. I have already posted video of an ST350 i built for a monster truck racing team and that thing clocked well over 35mph on 25 inch tyres and all the other mods described. Is that fast enough for you?
Cartmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #12
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Ok, So we do not lose the track of this thread, without too much detail, you can change the compression a lot by fitting a cylinder head from a 295cc engine, doing a modification to the standard exhaust or fitting a better flowing aftermarket exhaust, changing out springs in both clutches, you should already have a 28 degree driven clutch for more torque so larger tyres with a bigger rolling radius will also help as you already have a fair bit of torque to, let the engine work less for more speed. I have not been in this business for a while now so availability of aftermarket exhausts i cannot comment on. But the biggest change for you right now would be the 295 cylinder head and bigger tyres, that is assuming you have not already done this. I have already posted video of an ST350 i built for a monster truck racing team and that thing clocked well over 35mph on 25 inch tyres and all the other mods described. Is that fast enough for you?

Haha, yes, 35mph would be awesome! I do plan on putting bigger tires as the ones on it are currently old, mismatched and one leaks. However I didn't want to spend any money on cosmetic things until I got it running.

I've briefly looked into after market exhaust but didn't see a ton of offerings, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right places. I was figuring only a 22 or 23" tire
Mrjonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:09 AM   #13
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

See here.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...oke-carts.html

This along with the other bits i mentioned will get you around 20 horsepower and 23-30 MPH.

Tyres should be the last things you change as you should already be on 20" i think.

. Put your money into finding a good 295cc head, you will not regret it.

Just had a look around and assuming your engine is pre mci, EZGO have them for just under $400, MCI heads are over $900 or find a complete engine in need of rebuild, for less money and just use the head. Just make sure you get the right one for your cart. either MCI Separate manifold or pre mci.Built in manifold.
Cartmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:24 PM   #14
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Keep in mind that your top speed will *not* change with all the horsepower in the world unless You either A) spin the motor faster or B) change the ratio that those RPM's get to the ground. With the EZGO, that can be accomplished by finding a pre-1992 Igniter (provided You have a Pre-MCI ignition system) as they didn't have a rev-limiter built in, or some people have had success with an entirely new aftermarket MSD ignition (which can get fairly spendy) ... Like I said, whether it's the stock 11hp or 30+hp, at 3800RPM's the end result speed-wise will be the same exact number. Taller tires will alter the ratio a bit and add a few MPH, and being as You already have the 28deg clutch, a shorter belt will help keep You in the powerband longer and help make up for the lost torque the taller tires will cause. As to the 295 head on a 350, that's great with a pre-MCI engine, but isn't so simple with an MCI and will require a crank swap and some milling - I have a 97 TXT with the 350/295 setup running the old-style igniter and it's a beast, we had to mess around and install stiffer springs to keep the valves working at the higher RPM's, and also ended up boring and polishing the carb plus rejetting to get it to run at its' best. If the whole thing sounds like a huge project, call Carrie at CT Rebuilds in Georgia (PM Me for her number if You need it) - they will take your engine and do the Boring, Head-Work, etc and send it back to You at just over 18hp for $675, we've installed literally dozens of their motors for customers and never had anything but WIDE smiles as a result. Lastly, whatever You do to get more power, there's always the option of either finding a factory High-Speed 10:1 rear end (hard to do and expensive) or just pop $325 for a new set of 8:1 gears for the rear end (an afternoon to install but worth the 7-9mph gain) ... They make 6:1 but those are a little too tall to be useful unless You have a TON of power (like 20hp+) and even then, they change the driving characteristics of the cart so much that most people don't like it. My personal Workhorse has the 8:1 gears, the stock 350 motor and a shorter belt running on 22'sand has all the torque it always had plus runs out at just a hair over 29mph at around 3600RPM - if that would be enough for You it's under $400 front to back, you'll keep that nice quiet exhaust note, and you'll retain the smooth driveability that the cart has now, just another thought ...
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #15
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

After all of that, make sure you budget enough money to upgrade the brakes too. You'll need it. 35 mph on a golf cart is a lot scarier than you would think.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:26 PM   #16
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Great information from all. Now that it runs, I need to work on some cosmetic stuff /seats, wheel/tires, lights etc) but then it's on to seeing about making it faster.

Of course I'd read up on the stock muffler mod some & it seemed relatively easy but wasn't sure how much it was worth.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #17
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
After all of that, make sure you budget enough money to upgrade the brakes too. You'll need it. 35 mph on a golf cart is a lot scarier than you would think.
Suggestions?
Old 11-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #18
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjonman View Post
Suggestions?
If Your cart is lifted with one of the compatible Jakes kits, their disc brake setup is very nice - otherwise there are a couple of site sponsors that sell the Ausco rear disc brake setup, and VegasCarts is releasing their own new rear disc conversion soon. If your cart isn't lifted or set up for the Jakes kit, I personally would hold off a bit until we see how the VC brakes are, their engineering with the products they have released so far is second to none, and I would guess that their brakes will follow suit ...
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #19
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
If Your cart is lifted with one of the compatible Jakes kits, their disc brake setup is very nice - otherwise there are a couple of site sponsors that sell the Ausco rear disc brake setup, and VegasCarts is releasing their own new rear disc conversion soon. If your cart isn't lifted or set up for the Jakes kit, I personally would hold off a bit until we see how the VC brakes are, their engineering with the products they have released so far is second to none, and I would guess that their brakes will follow suit ...
Just the stock 4" lift it came with......for now
Old 11-05-2017, 10:02 PM   #20
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

So I have the governor adjusted quite a bit, but still not seeing a ton of change, barely bumping 18mph. Should I tighten it more? Is there something else? Pic of spring below

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...68729AC164.jpg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO