lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2018, 12:40 AM   #1
Piperporsche180
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Ez-Go troubleshooting spark

Good afternoon gentlemen,

I just purchased a 1996 Ez Go with a freshly rebuilt 2cyl robins engine. It has a rear seat, headlights, tail lights, and a lift. The front is about 2" higher than the rear (I know this needs to be corrected), 23" tires and an aftermarket muffler. It ran absolutely fantastic the first few days I had it.

I tried to load it into the back of my truck using ramps at a bit of an angle. Now the golf cart won't start.

My first thought, possibly a fuel problem. I disconnected the fuel line after the pump, the fuel is flowing very good.

I then opened the air box, noticed oil in the driver's side of it. This was a bit alarming. (I later learned the tilt of the lift could have caused the previous owner overfill the oil and the steep incline assisted this oil finding it's way into the air box)

Alarmed by the oil, I cleaned the air box, carburetor, pulled the plugs, and found they were fouled. Problem solved.... So I thought... I replaced the plugs, still no start.

Even more alarmed, I conducted a compression test. The results were 185lbs compression in each cylinder. Fantastic.

I then inspected for spark, no spark.

The battery has 12.5v, the wires that go to the coil read 8.5v, and the coil test read 3.6 ohms. The voltage to the coil seems low, shouldn't this be around 12v? Is there a common element that causes this

Any insight is appreciated.
Piperporsche180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Ez-Go troubleshooting spark

Yes that voltage into the coil is low. That said, one side should be getting battery voltage. The other side gets a pulsed signal from the ignitor module, which in turn gets a signal from the pulsar coil alongside the flywheel.
A common trouble spot that I've found is the plug at the reverse buzzer. The ignitor gets it's (+) feed from the same wire that powers the reverse buzzer by the Forward/Reverse switch. Look for a corroded wire or terminal there.

See section L for wiring diagrams
Attached Files
File Type: pdf txt ignition.pdf (7.13 MB, 0 views)
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
Piperporsche180
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ez-Go troubleshooting spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Yes that voltage into the coil is low. That said, one side should be getting battery voltage. The other side gets a pulsed signal from the ignitor module, which in turn gets a signal from the pulsar coil alongside the flywheel.
A common trouble spot that I've found is the plug at the reverse buzzer. The ignitor gets it's (+) feed from the same wire that powers the reverse buzzer by the Forward/Reverse switch. Look for a corroded wire or terminal there.

See section L for wiring diagrams
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. This was the fix!
Piperporsche180 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spark won't start
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO