lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #1
Ronman
Getting Wild

Default Ezgo dead

Been having dead battery issues lately so I replaced the battery yesterday. My son left on it to go check a horse and comes home walking 30 minutes later.

I've checked the 7.5 fuse and I have 12.6 at the battery. Where do I need to look next? Any help is appreciated.

Some reading on here leads me to believe my voltage regulator could be the reason for the battery issue. If so, is there something it might have taken out as a result of it malfunctioning?
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Ezgo dead

Start the cart in nueatral and run it wide open with your meter on the battery post it should read around 15 voltage if it doesn't than it's likely the voltage regulator
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
Ronman
Getting Wild

It doesn't start. Doesn't turn over, no clicks, nada.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
Ronman
Getting Wild

I've run all the wires and haven't found a break or loose connection.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Have you checked the fuse?
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
Ronman
Getting Wild

That was the first thing I checked.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

12.6 volts at the battery isn't really dead, it's just down a little. 12.74 is fully charged.

One of the large lugs connects to the positive side of the battery. The other lug connects to the starter. (Solenoid lugs)

Take a jumper cable. Connect one end to the positive side of the battery. Touch the other end to the starter lug, or the output side of the solenoid. What happened? It should have turned over.

If it turned over, it's not a battery problem.

There are also 2 small terminals on the solenoid. One connects to ground. The other connects to the key, and pedal switch. That's the side you want to touch with your same positive jumper cable.

What happened? Did the solenoid click? Did the starter turn over? It should have.

If nothing happened, you need to start checking the feed circuit. It's the fuse, key switch, and pedal switch.

If you know how to use a meter, you can check all of those points for 12 volts when stepping on the pedal.

Another thing to check is the positive cable where it connects to the battery. Sometimes corrosion crawls up inside the cable where you can't see it. That messes up everything.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #8
Ronman
Getting Wild

Thanks! This is awesome help
Old 04-02-2018, 07:06 AM   #9
Ezgas
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I just replaced my voltage regulator and it fixed my charging issue on my 2012 TXT which seemed similar to your issue. My battery was replaced at the end of 2017. Fuse and solenoid all checked out fine.
Ezgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:16 AM   #10
Ronman
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgas View Post
I just replaced my voltage regulator and it fixed my charging issue on my 2012 TXT which seemed similar to your issue. My battery was replaced at the end of 2017. Fuse and solenoid all checked out fine.
I ordered a new VR yesterday. Fingers crossed that fixes my battery issue. However, I still need to figure out why it's not turning over. Hope one of Cart Around's recommendations helps me find the problem.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO