lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #11
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Rebuild 2002 Yamaha G16

https://www.ronniesmailorder.com/oem...ngine-assembly

New engine $1150

And this should be the 357cc engine.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2018, 03:06 PM   #12
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
That's an easy rebuild, you don't even have to take the motor out. IF you have all replacement parts in hand, most "semi-mechanically-inclined" people could do the entire job in a couple hours. Someone with small engine experience, with all parts in hand, maybe 45 minutes to an hour.

Cheapest route would be an overbore piston/ring set. You can buy them all over online for about 50 bucks. Take the top of the motor apart (valve cover = 4 bolts, then 4 bolts to remove the cylinder head). pull it off, and then you can just slide the cylinder itself up and off. i'm generalizing, but yes it's that easy.

Then take the cylinder AND piston/ring set to a machine shop. They will bore it out and match the piston/rings to the bore. Remove the current piston, install the new stuff and put it back together. Machine shop generally will charge $50-75 for this service to bore and set up piston ring gaps.

Alternatively you could order a new cylinder, i haven't looked but doubt it's more than a couple hundred bucks from Yamaha. Then order a standard sized piston/rings and just put it all together.

IF you go the latter route, you could always get an overbore piston/rings set, and have a machine shop bore it out. Spray it with some oil, put it in a big ziploc bag and save it for a rainy day the next time :)
It would be a real challenge if it could be done at all rebuilding a yamaha engine still in the cart.P.S. The cylinder is not really replaceable. It and the crankcase are essentially a unit.You can over bore the cylinder with a couple of over sizes unless it is out to max already. BUT with a manual and a proper clutch puller it is a fairly easy task.A first timer say an hour or so to pull the engine.Once you use the puller to remove the primary clutch it is a pretty simple affair removing the front cover and looking inside.As long as the crank itself or the cylinder bore are not damaged the rebuild is around $200 in parts.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I stand corrected! I didn't realize the cylinder was not separate in these things! Very good information
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:45 PM   #14
deleft
Not Yet Wild

Mutt-don’t be afraid of a rebuild I did my G16 three+ years ago with the help of a high school student I had as a farm hand. With the manual and only new rings and gaskets needed didn’t even need to hone and go oversize. Being slow and deliberate it took max of 3 to 4 hours. Has ran great since only needing a carburetor cleaning every other year or so. Not much of a shade tree mechanic but I can follow directions easy enough. Hope that helps give you some assurance as I think I appreciate my Cart much more so now.
deleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:34 AM   #15
dcough@earthlink.net
Not Yet Wild

Do you mean you can bolt up the new piston while the motor is still in the cart?
dcough@earthlink.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:11 PM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcough@earthlink.net View Post
Do you mean you can bolt up the new piston while the motor is still in the cart?
No, it would be extremely difficult. And the risks of dirt & junk getting in is too high.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha