lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2018, 09:08 PM   #1
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Default Equus Tachometer troubleshooting

Figured I’d start a new thread rather than post this in the other recommendations thread.

Hooked it up earlier, well havent figured out the easiest way to hook up the white “switched on” wire yet because my light switch isn’t easy to access, but the rest is done. I’ve got an after market wiring harness on the cart.

First, pretty sure if the reading is correct, then everyone is about to tell me my motor is reving too high, or so I would guess......5k flat out.

However, it’s also doing something weird, as you’ll see in the video, it drops slightly when increasing in RPM, then jumps back up. Anyone know why?

Here’s, the video....-appreciate all the help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km9qvChj-BI
Mrjonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2018, 11:31 PM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: Equus Tachometer troubleshooting

OK you have the arrow on the pickup pointed in the proper direction. The pickup doesn't touch anything so it's not vibrating. The pickup cable is routed so its not next to any electronic ignition modules or source of interference. Your ignition system is not controlled by the foot pedal switch. I saw what looked like the power going off and the gauge cycled as in start mod. The power supply must remain constant for the tach to remain constant. I run my engine like a car, allowing the engine to come up to operating temperature.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:02 AM   #3
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
OK you have the arrow on the pickup pointed in the proper direction. The pickup doesn't touch anything so it's not vibrating. The pickup cable is routed so its not next to any electronic ignition modules or source of interference. Your ignition system is not controlled by the foot pedal switch. I saw what looked like the power going off and the gauge cycled as in start mod. The power supply must remain constant for the tach to remain constant. I run my engine like a car, allowing the engine to come up to operating temperature.
So I actually had to flip the pickup the opposite direction because I had no reading and that’s what the trouble shooting said to do. The pickup wire is routed along side all my other wires that lead to the front of the cart. The power for the tach is hooked up to the fuse box, however if I simply hold the it to the positive side of the battery, it does the same thing.

I’ll post a couple pics of everything hung tomorrow
Old 06-18-2018, 05:09 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I had some fluctuations until someone suggested running the ground for the tach directly to the ground on the S/G.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:30 AM   #5
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
I had some fluctuations until someone suggested running the ground for the tach directly to the ground on the S/G.
My ground is just run to the battery, maybe I’ll swap it to the starter and see what happens.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:31 AM   #6
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Anyone have input on the RPM? Searching I see some posts saying stay at 4K or less and then some that say up to 5K is ok, but going to drastically reduce engine life.

Which also makes me what people consider a drastic engine life decrease?
Old 06-18-2018, 08:32 AM   #7
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Wire both white and red together and hook to battery positive. Hook black wire to battery negative. Make sure the pickup is not touching anything metal. Check for proper function. After watching the video again I noticed it turned off a few times - when you rev the engine then let slow down the system cycles as in start mod. The tach has to have constant power to work right.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #8
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
Wire both white and red together and hook to battery positive. Hook black wire to battery negative. Make sure the pickup is not touching anything metal. Check for proper function. After watching the video again I noticed it turned off a few times - when you rev the engine then let slow down the system cycles as in start mod. The tach has to have constant power to work right.
I’ll do this shortly as Im going in late to work today.

Question though, by wiring white to positive terminal, won’t that just cause the back light to stay on all the time? I’ll have to extend the wire, it’s about a foot short from reaching battery. Had to do the same with positive and negative.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #9
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Moved power wire directly to battery positive from fuse block, didn’t get a chance to extend white wire and hook it up yet. Seems to operate better. No issue of draining the battery while parked though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2886S-VGJU
Old 06-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #10
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjonman View Post
Moved power wire directly to battery positive from fuse block, didn’t get a chance to extend white wire and hook it up yet. Seems to operate better. No issue of draining the battery while parked though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2886S-VGJU
I only suggested that to test the tachometer, you still have to turn it on and off just like your car.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO