lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
george_lehr
Not Yet Wild

Default New Member Blowing Fuses

Hi,
First post for me and sorry to say Ive got a problem with the 15 amp fuse blowing in my cart. I believe it's a 1986 vintage, the I.D. tag says Jacobsen, it has a two stroke Robin engine and looks exactly like the one in the picture that I'll try to attach.
The first time it blew, I replaced it but it blew almost immediately. I checked for a grounded wire or ignition switch, found none and replaced it with a 20 amp fuse. That lasted a couple weeks. When that fuse blew, I replaced it with a 25 amp fuse and it lasted only about one day.
I've looked at the wiring and think it has to be something coming off the ignition switch , so I'm thinking I'll try replacing the ignition coil and ignitor.
Any thoughts you all might have would be greatly appreciated.
George

P.S. I think I should've mentioned that the fuse blew while driving the cart, not while starting it, so i don't think that there's a starter/generator problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart Looks Like.jpg (7.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by george_lehr; 08-11-2018 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: added P.S.
george_lehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New Member Blowing Fuses

It sounds like a hot wire is touching ground as you bounce along. You can search my posts for the manual, or wait for me to get home in the morning. There is a good wiring diagram in there.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #3
george_lehr
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, but I've got a diagram that seems to match up with what I see when I look at my wiring/components.
I believe that the replacements with progressively greater amp fuses that lasted for decreasing amounts of time indicate something going bad and requiring heavier current draw. Believe me, I'm not by any means good with electrical/electronics stuff, but my reasoning makes sense to me. I was hoping someone might have experienced a failing coil or ignitor and could give me hope that I'm on the right track.
George
Old 08-12-2018, 07:23 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Put it up on jacks, and run it to see what kind of voltage it's putting out to the battery. I would suspect a failing voltage regulator first.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #5
george_lehr
Not Yet Wild

When I first replaced the 15 amp fuse, the starter/generator ran only for a few seconds before the fuse blew; the engine did not start, so it did not get to the point where there was any charge going to the battery. After I installed a 20 amp fuse, it started and ran okay every time I used it for a few weeks. It blew the 20 amp fuse one day after starting and going about 200 yards. I then replaced the fuse with a 25 amp one and it ran okay every time I used it for a few days. The 25 amp fuse blew after being started twice and running several hundred yards; I had stopped the cart, got off the machine, got on later and the starter did not even turnover.
I should mention that these problems have come up within the last month, during which we've had fairly hot humid weather here in CT.
I've read the reply you posted to RandinJ and when I get up to the farm today, I'll try disconnecting the solenoid and see what happens.
Thank you for the info you've provided.
George
Old 08-19-2018, 09:53 PM   #6
george_lehr
Not Yet Wild

Update:
I replaced the ignitor and coil today with new parts ordered through ebay. It's running okay so far with only a 15 amp fuse. If the fuse blowing problem returns, I'll let you know.
George
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO