lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
gened4288
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1999 TXT engine: repair, rebuilt, or clone swap?

Hi all,

I have a 1999 EZGO TXT gas with the 295 engine. The cart was last used about 5 years ago by a bunch of teenagers who used it as an atv in the woods and basically beat the heck out of it. To say it was abused might be an understatement! Anyway, the cart has been sitting for 5 years or so. It was parked because it would barely run and had no power. My wife has asked me to try to get the cart running to use around the neighborhood. After doing some reading on this site, I bought a new battery for it and dug in.

I first adjusted the valves to .004. The exhausts weren't too bad, the intakes were tight. Also, the intakes have more thread showing, so they're probably mushroomed into the head. Next I performed a compression test. The results are: Clutch side: 90 dry, 165 wet, Fan side: 90 dry, 160 wet. It is also building pressure in the crankcase and after cranking it, if you remove the dipstick, you can hear and feel the pressure release. As a side note, the breather hose to the airbox is missing, and has probably been gone for years. When cranking, I can feel air pressure coming out of the breather port on the engine.

All this leads me to believe that it will need at least valves & rings, maybe more? With that in mind, I figure I have 3 options: 1) Tear it apart and repair it, 2) Swap in a rebuilt engine, or 3) Do a clone swap. I'm looking for opinions and advice on how to proceed. If a rebuilt would be good idea, has anyone had any dealings with either Motors & More or J&M Golf Carts?
Thanks!
Gene
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Valves.jpg (131.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Clutch side.jpg (120.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Fan side.jpg (117.1 KB, 0 views)
gened4288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1999 TXT engine: repair, rebuilt, or clone swap?

Tear it apart and repair it
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #3
dirtyyoda77
Gone Wild

Club Car

what he said
dirtyyoda77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Motors & More are very good to deal with,I always call Cindy there for my rebuilt engine needs
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:23 PM   #5
gened4288
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks all for the advice. I got the cart into the garage today, it wasn’t too happy to move though! Drivers side brake was stuck from sitting. Removed the wheel and gave the drum a few whacks with a goodly-size hammer and she broke free. Forecast for tomorrow is rain, so it’ll be a good day to yank the engine. Not looking forward to trying to get the exhaust off...the bolts are mighty rusty. I’ve soaked them a few times over the last few days with PB Blaster...hopefully it’ll work! I’ll keep you all updated.
Gene
Old 10-10-2018, 08:32 PM   #6
Barbersham
Getting Wild

My manifold bolts were locked up. I got all of them off except the top one. I wacked it with hammer on manifold where threads are and it came free
Barbersham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:19 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Just my 2 cents. I have found that while anything can be rebuilt, in situations like this I would buy a rebuilt engine and be done with it.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #8
gened4288
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, I got the engine out of the cart and the head removed. It doesn't look as bad inside as i had anticipated. As expected, the intake valves are sunken in, but not terribly so. There doesn't seem to be much cross-hatching left in the cylinders, but also there was no ridge at the top. A little brake cleaner and a brass brush cleaned things up quite nicely!

So, if this was your cart, what would you replace? I was thinking valves, valve seals, and rings for sure (along with honing the cylinder). Is there any way for me to tell if it needs to be bored (other than taking it to a machine shop)? Would it be worthwhile to replace rods and pistons while it's apart? Anything else I should do?

Unfortunately, I have to leave town and won't be able to work on it for a week or so. At least that will give me time to form a plan! Without this forum, I wouldn't be as far along as I am. The shop manuals are great, and the water trick to remove the drive clutch worked like a charm!

Thanks in advance,
Gene
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ValvesBefore.jpg (282.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ValvesAfter.jpg (265.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PistonsBefore.jpg (265.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PistonsAfter.jpg (238.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BoreAfter.jpg (181.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #9
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Think your spot on in your thinking!

The only reason to bore the cylinders is if they are bell shaped. Larger at the bottom then the top.

You can use an old piston ring, place it at the top of cylinder and use a feeler gauge to measure the ring end gap, do the same at the bottom of cylinder using the same ring. This will tell you if its bell shaped.

Next question is one I also have!
Are you better reusing the stock OEM rods and pistons or get the new CHINA junk????

You sound like you know your way around the tool box, I would do the work your self!
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I bought parts from J&M when doing my first rebuild on my G14. They were very helpful in guiding my thru any obstacles I ran into on my first time golf cart engine redo. There is nothing like doing you own engine overhaul and KNOWING EXACTLY what was done and what parts are used.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO