lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2018, 07:50 PM   #1
TVH
Getting Wild

Default High speed gear results?

After many searches on the subject I can not find any clear results on the speed increase with said gears. I see there is a 6:1 and 8:1 set, I am assuming the 6:1 is the highest. Can anyone tell me the increase would be at around 30 mph top speed presently. Someone has to know I am sure, thanks in advance for saving me from wasting anymore time.
I just installed the predator v twin 670 with the vc install kit and absolutely love it! Vc does a great job in my opinion and Aaron is nice to deal with. I have gobs of torque to push the gear change, I have played with the driven clutch, reinstalled the stock 36 degree cam and added a second washer between the sheaves so my belt rides lower in the driven clutch. I have even experiemented with how I preloaded the stock spring. This all has helped with top end but I know there has to be plenty more there. The cart drives straight and stable since it is only has 4” of lift. I have seen 35 on gps but feel I am pushing the engine past redline. Seems gearing is the answer instead of purchasing a rev kit and hopping up an engine that has more power than I need in the first place. Fyi it is a 98 txt.
TVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2018, 08:16 AM   #2
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: High speed gear results?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/speed-calculator.php
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

proper gearing for good hole shot and top end can be a big experiment !!

We put a 440 sled engine in my buddy's cart, (Lots of HP) but had a hard time getting it geared right.

We had a top end near 60, no hole shot!

also had it come out of the hole like a bullet, but no top end!

If your running tall tires? The 6 to 1 seems like a lot of gear?
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
TVH
Getting Wild

Running 22x11 on 10” rims. Wondering myself if the 6:1 were too tall. Then again I could go back to the 28 degree driven clutch cam if that were the case.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVH View Post
Running 22x11 on 10” rims. Wondering myself if the 6:1 were too tall. Then again I could go back to the 28 degree driven clutch cam if that were the case.
I just used the speed calculator given here on my cart with 22'' tires.

current speed 21.8
speed with 8.0 was 32.7

changed gear to 6.0 the speed went to 43.6

THATS HUGE!
Old 11-26-2018, 04:10 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Maybe it's just me, but I don't know that i'd ever have the need (or desire) to go 40+ in a golf cart. They're not really built for that, and going down my driveway or my road around 20ish is a little sketchy. Y'all must have balls of steel or something because this sissy is gonna sit that ride out!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I don't know that i'd ever have the need (or desire) to go 40+ in a golf cart. They're not really built for that, and going down my driveway or my road around 20ish is a little sketchy. Y'all must have balls of steel or something because this sissy is gonna sit that ride out!
LOL, I have been over 60 in a golf cart
Everything must be just right, steering, alignment and even tire air pressure makes a difference.
We built the cart with one thing in mind, to win a small trophy at a county fair that holds street drags once a year in Indiana. You should see some of the thing these farm boys come up with. After all sled engines are a dime a dozen there.

yes its fun and scares the ---- out of you! we did use a dis brake on a live axle.

but we were just running numbers here to see what the difference in gearing will make.

BTW we spent $2500 on the cart and still have not won yet!! LOL turns out hole shot on a short run beats top speed.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:46 PM   #8
TVH
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead1956 View Post
I just used the speed calculator given here on my cart with 22'' tires.

current speed 21.8
speed with 8.0 was 32.7

changed gear to 6.0 the speed went to 43.6

THATS HUGE!
Holy cow that is huge! The 6:1 must be really tall gears. Thanks for taking the time to calculate that.

Cart is incredibly stable over 30, but over 40??
Old 11-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

With proper alignment the cart is fine @ 40 + MPH. The main issue with higher speeds are the brakes and stopping distances .P.S. If you have a cart that does 40+ MPH it is just loping along @ 25 mph cruising which is very comfortable.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:44 PM   #10
TVH
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
With proper alignment the cart is fine @ 40 + MPH. The main issue with higher speeds are the brakes and stopping distances .P.S. If you have a cart that does 40+ MPH it is just loping along @ 25 mph cruising which is very comfortable.
Brakes are my concern as well.
My son has a nice CanAm commander side by side, goes like 75 maybe more not sure. He said why in the heck dont you just buy one? I dont want one, I want a fast golf cart. After my vtwin install he now wants a golf cart. I have over 14k less in my cart than he does in that CanAm.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO