lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default ezgo 350 oil pressure prime

I've searched, and found a ton of threads saying to apply vacuum to a nipple near where the valve cover meets the head, but I can't find anything.

I just rebuilt my 350. Runs spectacular, no more smoke. But I can't seem to get it to hold prime on the oil pump. I replaced the o-ring with a nice fat new one on the oil pump cover. I can pour some oil in where the oil pressure sensor mounts, and it will prime and light will go off, sprays oil all over the place in the head. so I know all the oil passages are clear. And i can run/drive (lightly until the rings seat) and light is off. but if I stop for a minute, and start the oil pressure light may be on. Stop again and go again and the light will shut off. I drove it a good 20 minutes and the light didn't turn on once while driving. But then I stopped and now it doesn't seem to want to turn off.

I'm using a test light run from the B+ terminal to the sensor itself to eliminate potential for bad wiring. The light in the dash doesn't appear to work at all.

IS there a way to test the sensor by itself to make sure it just isn't shorted? I'd rather not roll the dice and damage the head/cam. IT already tried to do that to me once...

Is there a better way to prime the 350 besides messily pouring oil into the pressure sensor hole? Mine is a 2007 MCI engine.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: ezgo 350 oil pressure prime

This was my thread after my rebuild

( New engine rebuild, NO OIL PRESURE)

I put a new pump cover on it, issue resolved! Don't know why!

I also put a manual oil gauge in it, no more idiot light!
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I read that. I dont see any deformity in the plate... and I replaced the o ring with a nice new fat one so I'm positive its sealing. I'd think oil would leak out if not.

I'd really like to know the best way to prime it. Engine was completely apart, cleaned and bone dry. Cleaned the oil filter in an ultrasonic cleaner so it's as good as new with a new o ring. So I'm wondering if theres just an air pocket in there somewhere that I'm having a hard time bleeding out. I cant find any real information exactly how to prime the pump in this thing. I have the repair manual for the motor, it doesnt say squat. I've read various things but nothing definitive.

I've never had any problems with an oil pump before. Usually just spinning over most motors takes care of it. This thing is playing hard to get...
Old 11-29-2018, 09:57 PM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

This o-ring if left out I think can affect oil pressure ?? I almost left one out on the last one I rebuilt. Are you 100 & sure it is there. I may be wrong on this but just a suggestion. Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oring.jpg (94.9 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:06 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If nothing else works I will pull the motor back out (again) and check that, but I don't think that's it. I'm just grasping at straws, but I would have to imagine if an o ring was completely missing then it wouldn't build pressure at all. It did, and ran great for 2 laps around my yard (just over a mile) and was perfect. I stopped, just long enough to take the trash can out of the back and have my son get on. When I started again and my test light wouldn't shut off so I parked it and took him for a ride in one of my other carts.

I want to make sure i'm priming it correctly, and didn't have an air pocket somewhere i'm missing. I have searched until my eyes cross and I can't find anything definitive saying exactly HOW is the best way to prime the oil pump.

Worst case if I can't figure it out by this weekend i'll order a new oil pump cover, oil filter, and hope that takes care of it when I get back. I'd still like to try and prime it again just to make sure.

If someone that's rebuilt a bunch of these motors can give me a good description of exactly what to do, or even some pictures, I'd like to create a detailed "how to" post so the next poor schmuck doesn't spend days searching for it.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just remove the oil pressure sending unit and fill the passage with oil,re-install sending unit and it's primed.I did have a problem with the last rebuild and it turned out to be the pump cover O-ring which was brand new but evidently not the right specs.;Cindy @ Motors & More told me they had a lot of issues with these O-rings this year so I guess it's just a bad boatload .By the way I put my original O-ring back on it solved the prime loss issue .
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Thank you.

Interesting about the o-ring. I removed the original o-ring and matched it up with one I had. Mine was twice as thick as the original that was pretty flat and squashed, so I can't believe it DOESN'T seal. But maybe I will have to order a new cover and o-ring and just hope for the best.

Luckily, unlike the timing belt, at least I can get to the oil pump without removing the motor. The fan shroud is a little tricky but once that's off it's not too bad at all.

Finicky little engine for sure!
Old 11-30-2018, 11:11 AM   #8
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If the O-ring is to large it may hold the cover to far from the pump, and loose vacuum there??

I don't remember now if my new pump cover came with a o-ring or not. The o-ring may have been my issue.

I played with mine for days, just didn't make any since, but it worked!
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Thanks, i will give it a shot. Don't have anything to lose at this point, I just don't want to run it until I can confirm oil pressure is good. Motor runs awesome and doesn't smoke at all anymore; Just don't want to wreck a fresh rebuild over a stupid $20 cover and a 50 cent o-ring.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:19 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I rebuilt three of these engines this year and didn't use the o-ring that came with new gasket and seal kit. I just didn't like the way they fit. I used the old ones and never once had to prime the pump.
I also used the original o-ring where cover bolts to block. That is the one I mentioned in earlier post. The new one that came with these aftermarket seal kits would not fit. Not even close
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO