lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2019, 07:21 PM   #1
Jlvictorino
Not Yet Wild

Default Just picked up a 87. Ezgo. 244cc buggy. Missing parts question!!

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum. I will try to answer as best as I can. I just picked up a 1987 ezgo 244cc cart Here is what I know about it. 244cc Robin engine. It's missing the starter generator. And the piece that selects it to go in forward. Or reverse. I'm not sure what that piece is called. It has good compression from hand turning it over from what I can feel.

Here is my question. Other then buying the starter generator. And the unit that selects forward. Reverse. And battery. Would you guys go and do a full rebuild on the upper? Lower? Or just replace the missing parts and see if it runs ? I only spent 80 bucks on the buggy. So I'm not out a bunch of money on it. What do you guys suggest ? Thank you all!!!!!
Jlvictorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Just picked up a 87. Ezgo. 244cc buggy. Missing parts question!!

If it were me I could see if I could locate a used starter/generator and see if you can make it run. Don't go spending a lot of money until you hear this thing run or at least try to run
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:06 PM   #3
Jlvictorino
Not Yet Wild

That's what I've been trying to find. Only finding new. At around 180 bucks.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:37 AM   #4
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

I would probably do the same as Trig123 suggests - eBay, or Craigslist,
you could also try a rope start; wrapping a strap around the clutch- like electrician “pull-tape” Never tried it, but I’ve done plenty of odd stuff that I never tried until I had to . . . .’course many times that went way wrong!
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:48 PM   #5
Jlvictorino
Not Yet Wild

Gotcha. I can look on Ebay. just not sure which starter generators are compatible. But I'm all about saving some money in the process. !!
Old 04-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I would try and find another cart to use for parts. I know where there is one now but I would have to cut a tree to get to it.

You are going to need other parts I am sure. Always good to have a spare. Probably can find a junked out cart cheaper than a starter/generator. At least in my area that is the case.

What area of the US are you in ? The one I know about is a 1985 with the 2PG engine in it.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #7
Jlvictorino
Not Yet Wild

I am in the inland northwest. Up in Idaho near Spokane. I found a starter generator on Ebay. But not sure if its compatible. It states it works for 1980 to 1993 pre medalist models. And medalist models. Believe mine is a marathon. This is the link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Starter....c100891.m5206
Old 04-24-2019, 05:00 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

That one on E-bay says it fits yours, but I'm not so sure. You are looking for a starter that runs in both directions. It will have 4 large studs, and a small DF stud for a wire going to the voltage regulator. I did not see that in the pictures, and it says clockwise direction in the description.

Golfcartking is a sponsor, and has the right one for you to reference. It comes without a pulley, so not a good deal for you. You also need the forward/reverse switch. It is electrical, not mechanical. I would look for a donor cart. https://www.golfcartking.com/ezgo-pa...er-generators/
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:07 PM   #9
Jlvictorino
Not Yet Wild

A donor cart might be hard to find around here. Especially a free one. And room might be a issue in my garage. Forward and reverse switch I found for 50 bucks. The starter generator I'm having trouble finding a compatible one for less than 200. The one on Ebay is 99. But like you said. It says it will work. But clockwise style rotation ?
Old 04-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

$100 on Ebay. Brand new. How can you lose ? If it doesn't work it is a false listing you get all your money back including return shipping. That seller has a 100 % rating.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO