lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #21
JonnyPhenomenon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: new to these toys, got a '88 marathon-not running

If you dont have the service manual for this, #23839-G1 - here you go...
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...ers-manual.pdf
JonnyPhenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #22
racsan
Not Yet Wild

ok, thanks. just started putting it back together today. has new crank/main bearings now.
racsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:31 PM   #23
racsan
Not Yet Wild

got the engine all together today and back in the chassis, still working on getting all the bolt holes to line up. this engine is horrendously heavy when its assembled. once I get it running I have lights & other “street legal” things to put on it. Im considering putting boat trailer rims/tires on it. Either 4.80 or 5.30 x 12”. I think the bolt pattern is the same, I dont really need the wide floatation of a traditional golf cart tire and the 12’s would be a little taller but not need a lift kit or suspension modification. But thats a ways off, I can already tell the compression is better since Ive put new parts in. I waited a extra 2 days after sealing the crankcase halves just to be sure it was cured. All seems well, its been over 20 years since Ive done a 2-cycle, and the ones I did before were multi-cylinder evinrude outboards.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #24
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Let's see some pics of that bad boy
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #25
racsan
Not Yet Wild

Untitled by anon omus, on Flickr

yes, my clutch removal tool was a 1-7/8 hitch ball and a pipe wrench, what you couldnt see was the small 3/8 extention inside the threaded bore. I couldnt find a 3/4 fine thread bolt, but theres plenty of hitch balls with a 3/4-fine 2" long shank. it did work. compression is now 115. hasnt ran longer than 20 seconds, new carb but I dont know how much its been messed with. when cranking it acts like its harder to spin in reverse vs forward-even with plug out. must be a starter issue. even though it ran at nearly 1/2 throttle the clutch never engaged. i did clean up the area I had the pipe wrench on. I didnt have the clutch bolt tight enough at first and it would try to start then clutch would spin on crank. first time it did that I thought I had broke the crankshaft. not sure if fuel pump is working, have fuel line hooked to a outboard tank with a primer bulb. fresh 50:1 mix. maybe too much oil, esp since I used 2 cycle oil to lube everything up as I assembled, but better too much oil than not enough. you can see the failed seal on ignition side of crank, might have been why this quit running and had a scord cyl and bad main bearings. check out the pulleys, the clutch isnt quite square with the differential pulley, have not idea. this was a before engine was out picture, its still that way now. Im beginning to thnk id been farther ahead to have gotton a better cart. im 600 in so far and thats not counting all the street legal lights, wires and crap ive yet to worry about. I dont know why the rear rims are painted red, they were originally white and still are on the inside. thats the best thing about this wreck, 4 nearly new tires/wheels. although I plan to change them to 4.30-12's or 5.30-12's. but im a long way from that. who knows, might clean up and paint the body then push it out to the front yard.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:27 AM   #26
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Nice old Allis pony tractor you have there.
army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #27
racsan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by army View Post
Nice old Allis pony tractor you have there.
yes, 1942 Allis "C", 6 ft woods belly mower. takes off alot of grass per pass and doesnt beat you to death over rough ground like a zero turn will. never needs choke if its above 70, just turn on gas, half-throttle, key on and pull back on the starter lever. Ive crank started it before in the winter when there wasnt enough battery for the starter but had enough for the coil to make spark.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #28
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

There's that special hitch ball clutch puller lol, Nice Mcguyver but I don't like the pipe wrench idea. I think you're right about the drive clutch not being square with the driven clutch, I don't know how that's even possible other than the motor mounts have been drilled/wore out.....

40:1 is the proper mixture for the first break-in tank, then 128:1
Old 08-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #29
racsan
Not Yet Wild

got it running today, and the clutch decided to work. at first it wouldnt engage, but then it would engage but not disengage. must have freed up finally, seems to be working right. took it out on the street to see what top end is, wow! 21 mph! stopping from that speed doesnt happen fast, only 1 rear brake. need to figure out what adjustment needle is on carb. I assume its low speed mix. doesnt seem to draw fuel from tank but will from 1 gallon container strapped in the back. rear end was way low on oil, put a whole qt of 80/90 in there. front wheels are noisy, so for a temporary lube I put 80/90 in dust covers then smacked them in. after my test driving I saw oil on inside of rims so I know the inner bearings got oil, and that the grease seals arent any good. (but after 30 years , its no surprise) A new plug did wonders for starting, may need another after running 40:1 through it. sure is loud, doesnt seem to matter if muffler is on or not. sounds like a dirt bike. once I get the motor fine-tuned, I need to paint the body and do all the crap to make it road-legal. I think I have everything, well except maybe paint, unless I go with allis-chalmers orange.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:42 AM   #30
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

21mph is great, the adjustment screw is an air screw put it about 1 & 1/2 turns out. The front wheel bearings are a sealed bearing, easy to install and will last another 30 years lol.

I don't remember all you've done (and I didn't back read lol) but as far as it running only on an external tank, I would replace all the fuel line/filter (if you haven't already) plus unscrew the tank pick up tube and check it for cracks and blow it out. Also make sure the cap is of the vented type and the vent not plugged
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO