lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #1
LongsLanding
Not Yet Wild

Default My new to me 2015 EZGO key start Valor having ignition issues

Just bought a 2015 EZGO Valor gas and have 2 issues:

1) This is not an issue so much as a nuisance. Previous owner set it up to run constantly with the key in the on position. It is no longer pedal start. I want it to be pedal start because it not only seems hard on the starter to be idling but it just isn't relaxing to turn the key on and off so much every time i stop to chat with someone. Do I need to get into the pedal box? Is there a micro-switch in the pedal box I need to reconnect a wire too? Or a micro-switch by the FNR switch?

2) This is my larger issue. When I turn the key on to start the cart, intermittently nothing happens. Totally dead with no electrical activity. Its usually after the cart has been sitting for awhile. If I leave the key in the on position after a few minutes it may randomly start working almost as if it took time for the switch to make connection or build up current. I checked the wires and they all look connected nicely. Is this a sign of a bad key switch. Do they normally go out that soon on a 4 year old cart? Or could it be a micro-switch or bad solenoid? I feel like since this cart is set up to run off the key and not pedal start that something has prematurely failed because of that. Any help is soooo greatly appreciated? The cart is 4 hours away at Lake Havasu so I plan to fix it over 4th of July and will bring a new key switch and volt meter to check stuff. Thanks
LongsLanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
mersh75
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: My new to me 2015 EZGO key start Valor having ignition issues

Your hunch is probably correct. The previous owner jumped the micro switch in the pedal box. When you get to the pedal box you should find two wires with female terminals with a jumper between them. Remove the jumper and plug the wires into the switch and it will be back to stock. See if that helps with the delayed start problem. Also, when installing the jumper it is suggested to change the drive clutch spring to a higher stall to avoid burning the drive belt with longer than normal idle times. If you have to idle up a bit to get moving, then the primary clutch spring has been changed. Not a big deal it is a higher torque spring if you want it, but if you want a smoother acceleration you can replace it with a stock spring.
mersh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
LongsLanding
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the tip on removing the jumper. Hoping its that simple. I'd love to have it back to peddle start. Is the only way to access the pedal box is remove the rocker panel/trim piece on each side and then pull up the rubber floor?

I ordered a new key switch last night and am going to replace that to see if that can remedy why my ignition is intermittently going dead.
LongsLanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #4
mersh75
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

You should be able to just remove the driver side rocker panel and left up the floor mat.
mersh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO