lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2019, 07:54 AM   #1
palmettojoe
Not Yet Wild

Default Valves and Carb

Hey All, Good Morning...
I've cleaned the carb and adjusted the valves, but still have some "burping" from the engine. I really am not real sure of what performance I should expect from my 2004 workhorse, but I'm thinking it could run smoother, especially on slow speeds. It seems to have 2 speeds that it likes, cruising at about 10 mph, or even all out at 20+. Forget 3-5 mph, as its too hard to keep it running that slow and peddle just seems to sensitive, this is when it will burp.

I dialed back the governor, as I don't want to max the engine. But here's my thoughts now......
Install new carb since they are cheap.
Consider replacing valves, as there is only about a thread of adjustment showing.
Replace belts, while I'm doing this other work, it just makes sense to get it all done, often have a belt squeal when getting out of an awkward parking spot.

So any help, especially with valve replacement, where to get parts, whether I should, or the difficulty involved?

Or any other ideas that anybody has to offer, I'd like to hear as I would like my ST350 to run as good as possible, doubt I can get it to run like new, as it has a lot of hours.
Thank you
Joe
palmettojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: Valves and Carb

Sounds like a linkage adjustment problem Joe and forget the cheap carbs they are junk.

If you can, post a picture of the drivers side of your motor.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:25 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
Sounds like a linkage adjustment problem Joe and forget the cheap carbs they are junk.

If you can, post a picture of the drivers side of your motor.
Right on the money.

When you press the pedal it pushes a microswitch that activates the solenoid and starts turning the starter/generator.

If the cable running from the pedal to the governor is too tight, it will start to open the carb BEFORE the starter/generator starts to turn. For the most part it's not going to "hurt" anything. However you're going to have NO slow speeds. "slow speed" will be 7-8mph and it will run perfectly fine and smooth above that. But trying to go any slower than that will hit the microswitch, which kills spark and kills the engine, so it's either "on" or "off" at 1/4 throttle.

I'd start with that cable adjustment first before doing anything else. SEt it with the key "OFF". Press the pedal down, and you should hear/see the microswitch "click" before the carb throttle begins to move. I like to set them so the pedal has to be pressed down another 1/2" or so between the starter/generator turning, and the carb starting to open. As soon as the carb starts to open, the motor is going to fire up and start running.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

yep, that linkage (in front of the timing cover) has a little piece of cable in the middle of it and has to have a little droop in it.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO