lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
Pauldeere
Not Yet Wild

Default Another stuck oil filter...

I have serviced two EZGO's with the Gas Kawasaki motor in the last month. Both carts had oil filters that were over tightened and very difficult to remove. One cart was a 2013 that required removal of the plastic fan shroud. The bottom 2 bolts were not accessible which required cutting two small sections from the engine mounting plate in order to access the 2 bolts. The second cart was a 2017. I noticed on this cart the mounting plate is made different allowing access to the two bottom bolts should the fan shroud have to be removed. Do yourself a favor, do not over tighten the oil filters on these engines. A stuck filter on these engines can turn a simple job into a all day affair.....
Pauldeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2019, 06:07 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Another stuck oil filter...

Did you try an oil filter wrench this time?
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:18 AM   #3
Pauldeere
Not Yet Wild

You'r a funny man...
Pauldeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:44 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Seriously... I linked this on your other post about the same thing but here it is again.

You can get these pretty much anywhere. I've worked on cars and stuff for many years and even after moron lube techs and jiffy lube put the things on like they're trying to be he-man I've never had one that was too tight for it to work.

Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SR4Q8..._8NI9DbR4B8T1M
Old 12-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

People that don’t have experience working in a shop often just don’t know that filter wrenches are an absolute MUST HAVE. WrencheS plural. No one type does every filter, and often ones that work well for one filter can’t be maneuvered to fit onto another.

There’s also the old faithful big *** pliers (channel locks) and the big *** screwdriver. If nothing else will get it loose, hammer a screwdriver through the case of the filter and use that to twist it loose. It’s going in the trash anyway, don’t be afraid to destroy it if you have to.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
People that don’t have experience working in a shop often just don’t know that filter wrenches are an absolute MUST HAVE. WrencheS plural. No one type does every filter, and often ones that work well for one filter can’t be maneuvered to fit onto another.
True point. I've got a drawer full of different oil filter tools lol. But that lisle works the best for the screw on style on these motors and import cars. Eventually you wear them out and break the springs but even then they still work
Old 12-16-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
localbar
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Those filters on this engine get SUPER tight on their own. I’ve changed many filters and know how to tighten one and everytime I go to change the Kawasaki filter it’s impossible to remove without proper wrench.

There’s no clearance to use anything but the right wrench. One my first attempt it was a no go and I have enough experience to know the screwdriver through wasn’t going to work. So I left it for another day and ordered the same filter wrench in that link. Works great.
localbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 04:49 PM   #8
adipocere
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Seriously... I linked this on your other post about the same thing but here it is again.

You can get these pretty much anywhere. I've worked on cars and stuff for many years and even after moron lube techs and jiffy lube put the things on like they're trying to be he-man I've never had one that was too tight for it to work.

Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SR4Q8..._8NI9DbR4B8T1M
This item did help. I got it at the local Advance Auto and it saved my cart, my sanity, and probably my marriage. That said, it was still a bear to get off even with this tool, and the filter looked like the Luftwaffe had strafed it when I was done...
adipocere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:18 PM   #9
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Often use chain vise grips for non standard size filters [big hydraulic filters for example], haven't failed me yet.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO