lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2020, 11:30 AM   #1
jamosdad
Not Yet Wild

Default 1990 Marathon 3pg questions

Hi,
I’m relatively new to the forum, and golf carts in general, thanks for having me.
I was given a non running 1990 Marathon, it’s planned as a project to work on with my kids. The guy I got it from said he never messed with it, but was told that it needed a piston and cylinder. I tried to start it and it starts to crank then stops, similar to a dead battery but the battery’s ok.
Anybody familiar with this? I don’t mind rebuilding the top end, but I want to know how to confirm that’s it, or not. I’m good at fixing or building, but diagnostics on this isn’t my strong suit. I’ve had a heck of a time even finding parts for this. It doesn’t seem like I can just toss a harbor freight engine in it without major issues.
Thanks
John
jamosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1990 Marathon 3pg questions

Can you turn it over by hand when it stops turning over?

I will add on to this when I find the link to your manual.

Ok, here is your manual. Each chapter is a separate pdf file, but it's all there. https://app.box.com/s/3habgxrtgz

My suggestion is to yank the engine, and remove the cylinder. Take some pictures so we can see what you have. Then you can determine if you want to bother with it. We can walk you through a rebuild.

We will check crankshaft bearings, rod bearings, cylinder, and piston condition.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:36 AM   #3
jamosdad
Not Yet Wild

Sorry been busy and forgot about this post. I can turn it over by hand. Up until now I sort of back burnered it due to other stuff. I fully expected to put some cash into it, or drop a different motor in. I’ll pull it apart and see what I can get for pics when I can. I have a couple other things ahead of her in the garage. One of which is the wifes car which I’m scared to let slide
Old 03-10-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Don't forget, IF you drop in a Harbor Freight engine you will lose reverse. I would tear into the engine it's got and save it if possible, They are fairly simple to rebuild
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
jamosdad
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Dabble, I did know about the reverse issue, and heard to use a 4 stroke I’d need a rear end. I’d heard I may get lucky here finding someone with one, but I can’t post in the classifieds yet. I really want to keep the factory set up, I just don’t know where to start as far as determining the problem. The guy I got it from was told it needs a cylinder and piston, but I don’t want to throw money at it blindly. I’ve had no luck finding a parts cart or decent priced engine. I’ve only seen the engines for $800-1600, but I can buy a top or bottom half in the $2-300 range. I have some parts lawn tractors and even considered trying to install the engine and transaxle from a mower, but decided not to.
The local small engine/golf cart shop wants a minimum of $100 up to $2/300 just to diagnose it. Now that it’s warmer and snows gone I can dive into it more.

Any ideas or help are appreciated. My kids are being homeschooled now because of covid, so I want to work on it with them, but I need a starting point.
Thanks
Old 03-31-2020, 10:10 AM   #6
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I would save it, these are relatively easy and cheap to rebuild. Re-read 'Cart Around' post above, and let us know what you find
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:03 PM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Remove the drive belt, and spark plug. Turn it over by hand to see how it feels, and sounds.
Then do a compression check.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1990 marathon 3pg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO